Overly hen pecked!! :(

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by 2crazyflockers, Jun 24, 2016.

1. 2crazyflockers

2crazyflockers Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2016
    I have two hens that have been hen pecked over night. They both have holes in the back of their heads now. What is the best thing to use after cleaning? I tried triple antibiotic ointment but in this heat it keeps thinning out and bandaging it doesn't seem to be an option as its around the head and neck!

2. 2crazyflockers

Apr 26, 2016
    I read that blukote will help to stop any further pecking but I've separated them already. The powder is to stop bleeding, so if I've stopped bleeding already and just want to keep it "covered" so to speak?

3. chickcrack

chickcrack Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2016
    Ontario, Canada
    Hi sorry to hear this. All I can offer us that I have read many times on here to apply the triple antibiotic cream like you are already doing. I have heard talk of a spray available at farm supply store...vetericyn or something similar. Maybe that would be better in the heat? Only other option I can think of is to cage them in a basement where it's cool. I hope they heal quickly.

4. 2crazyflockers

Apr 26, 2016
    Thank you! I cleaned them up poured a small amount of providone over the wound then used blukote to seal it so to speak! Hoping this helps! I'm by far an expert so I went with what I knew as a surgical tech by profession!! After having a farm I should've gone to be a vet tech!!! :gig

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by