1. BoutrosBoutrosGalusGalus

BoutrosBoutrosGalusGalus Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2011
    san jose
    [​IMG]

Hi I got a bird here who has us worried about her crop. Shes real active and is eating and pooping but her crop is pretty full at night and doesn't quite go away in the morning. You can see in the picture that its quite visible. She also has separation anxiety and likes to listen to NPR lol.

2. Stacykins

Stacykins Overrun With Chickens

Jan 19, 2011
    Escanaba, MI
    With my chicks when they suddenly had HUGE crops I fretted, and then found out that chicks can be very GREEDY and stuff their crops to what seems to be bursting proportions! I would venture to guess your girl is just being a normal, greedy chick and will pass the food normally. They especially eat a lot before nighttime, it seems, so they can digest it all slowly during the night. Is she lethargic, have bad breath, etc?

If you are really worried maybe provide her with appropriate sized grit. Grit helps grind up food in their gizzard, helping along the passage of food from the crop.

3. BoutrosBoutrosGalusGalus

BoutrosBoutrosGalusGalus Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2011
    san jose
    ok thanks, we took away her food overnight and the crop was pretty small this morning. Its already big from stuffing itself like a pig.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by