1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Overly tired chick- is this a bad sign?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Carolyn227, Mar 12, 2012.

1. Carolyn227

Carolyn227 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 30, 2011
    One of my chicks was sleeping. I noticed it was the only one. The other ones would run over it and it would lift its head a little and crack its eyes and go back to sleep. I picked it up and it complained for a minute but calmed really quickly. I put it down and it went right back to sleeping. Is this a chick on the way out? Anything I can do?

2. Carolyn227

Apr 30, 2011
    Help- chick is very lethargic now. Other chicks were bugging her and pecking at her so I put her in a little box with a little food and a little molasses water (not sure if she has the energy to get anything herself) and I put a heating pad under it. Is there anything else I can do? I feel so bad for her.

3. try and feed her some sugar water

4. Carolyn227

Apr 30, 2011
    I got her to drink a little and every once in a while it seems like she jumps or something, but she hasn't moved otherwise.

5. are you watering her sugar water?

6. Carolyn227

Apr 30, 2011
    yes.

7. okay many people will say NOT to do this but try and feed her some yolk, make sure not to get her covered in it

8. BuffMomma

BuffMomma Out Of The Brooder

Feb 16, 2012
    Florida
    I had one do they last week I tried everything unfortunately it passed away on day 3 I thought it was getting better because it's energy had picked up a little and I got it to drink but it didn't help sorry I really hope you have better luck

9. Carolyn227

Apr 30, 2011
    I am nursing my baby so I didn't get a good look, but it looks as if this little chickie has passed. Poor little thing. :(

10. BuffMomma

BuffMomma Out Of The Brooder

Feb 16, 2012
    Florida
    Sorry to hear that good luck with the rest I had 14 and still have 13 so no more problems :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by