1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Overly trimmed beak!! Bloody!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by shetan83, Feb 17, 2013.

1. shetan83

shetan83 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 7, 2012
    San Dimas, CA
    Hey BYC,

One of our hens had a top beak that was starting to split, so my mom trimmed it with some scissors. That part went fine.

However, because the lower beak was much shorter than the upper beak, my mom thought she would trim it down with scissors too. But then it started bleeding like crazy! Mom feels terrible now, and is panicking about what we should do to help the hen.

She ran the beak under water for a few minutes, but it kept on bleeding. Then she put some hydrogen peroxide to kill any bacteria if there was any. She also put on this powder:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yunnan_Baiyao

On humans, this powder has been found to reduce post-operational bleeding, and it did seem to help...

I'm worried though. Is there anything we should be doing to help the hen? Do we separate her from the flock until her beak heals? What should we do to take care of her?

2. calmwinds

calmwinds Out Of The Brooder

Feb 10, 2013
    Florida
    I would keep her separated from the flock as the others will peck on anything that is different looking. I would keep her warm with plenty of water and feed. My suggestion

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by