Overmated Hens

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by brownfarms, Jun 26, 2008.

1. brownfarms

brownfarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2008
    San Diego Area, CA
    Out of our last group of chickens we hatched ended up with 3 more roosters (4 total) for 16 hens. We are correcting this problem with 32 more chickens but it will be a while before they are ready to mate. Any suggestions on how I can discourage mating with the two favorite hens that have naked patches on their backs? Anyway to promote feather growth?

2. arlee453

arlee453 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2007
    near Charlotte NC
    You can make them a saddle either of fabric or duct tape. Do a search for 'saddle' or 'saddle and tape' and see what you can find. There are plenty of threads on here about making saddles.

Alternately you can make a batchelor pad for the excess roosters and keep them separated from the girls. If you have them where they can't see the girls - like on the other side of the building, etc - then often roosters can get along OK if there are no girls to fight over.

Good luck!

3. brownfarms

Jun 24, 2008
    San Diego Area, CA
    Oh dear! A chicken saddle? That sounds so wrong but just what I need. THANK YOU.

4. flock-mama

flock-mama Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2008
    Bayfield colorado
    A batchelor pad sounds better than my Rooster Jail! [​IMG] I have the same problem, too many roosters. I don't have it in my heart to get rid of them.

5. brownfarms

Jun 24, 2008
    San Diego Area, CA
    Yes, I like Bachelor Pad much better. Rooster Jail...poor things. [​IMG] Sounds great at 4:30am though don't it. The Rooster Chorus......

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by