Overmating Problems

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by pebbles99, Oct 5, 2016.

1. pebbles99

pebbles99 Just Hatched

Aug 16, 2016
    Virginia
    Hello!
    So I have a male muscovy and he has been overmating one of my female scovys. He has three other girls to mate, but this one is his favorite [​IMG] I noticed a week ago that she has a small bald spot on the top of her head, so I decided to keep her in a separate pen away from the male. It has been a week of separation now and her head is still bald! I want her head fully feathered before I let her back out, so I was wondering: Is there a way to speed up the growing process??? Any help is appreciated!!!! [​IMG]

2. lomine

lomine Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2015
    Peyton, CO
    Part of it might be due to molting, it is that time of year. Make sure they are all getting more protein in their diet to help them grow the new feathers. I don't think there is a way to speed up the process. At least not one I've heard of.

You may want to lock up the drake and let the hen out to spend some time with the other hens. You don't want her to get too lonely/stressed.

3. dotknott

dotknott Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2016
    Rhode Island
    My Coop
    It can take 3-4 weeks to regrow feathers.

While it is that time of the year for molting, that shouldn't be affecting new feather growth. Are the feathers actually pulled all the way out, or are they broken? Ducks don't regrow feathers that are still there, unless they are molting. (This is why we clip wings, not pull those feathers.)

Make sure she's getting enough protein (feather growing is a high protein activity) and consider lomines suggestion of swapping the drake in solitary for a bit to let her mingle.

4. lomine

Aug 7, 2015
    Peyton, CO
    I just meant that if she is molting it might be easier for the drake to pull feathers out; compounding the problem and making the patch bigger. Didn't mean it would make it harder for her to grow them back. Sorry if what I wrote was confusing.

5. Ren2014

Ren2014 Blessed Beyond Hope Premium Member

Jan 27, 2014
    Texas
    Unfortunately this is a common occurrence. They have their favorites even when your male:female ratio is good as yours is. I don't know of any way to speed up the re-growing back except keeping them separated.

X2, lock him up. Try putting one of the other girls in with him. See if he can get his mind on someone else. Rotate the other girls in with him while number one is still healing.

6. dotknott

dotknott Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2016
    Rhode Island
    My Coop

Ah! Got it, that does make more sense!

7. pebbles99

pebbles99 Just Hatched

Aug 16, 2016
    Virginia
    Thanks for the help y'all!!! I do not leave her alone, because if I would she would vocally express her loneliness! Right now she is in with my hen who has a broken wing. They are both the best of friends so she is happy! I have tried giving her more protein, but she is the pickiest eater I have ever seen! I bought meal worms and regular worms and she wouldn't touch them.
    I think her feathers were pulled out by the male, but I see some regrowth so I think she must be molting and they are just easier to pull out like you said :)
    If she is molting, will her tail feathers fall out too? I have noticed a couple falling out here and there.
    Thank for everything!

8. lomine

Aug 7, 2015
    Peyton, CO
    Oh yes, they will drop all their feathers.

Glad she has a buddy to keep her company.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by