Overmating

RJKnott

Songster
Mar 25, 2020
So took in this small female pekin Daisy. She was being severely over-mated by the flock she was with and her neck was all raw. Other ladies in the flock but she was the only one that the males mated woth

She had other issues a broken toe that never healed right. And some bumble foot

Treated the bumblefoot and set her back outside in the pen yesterday. She was doing so well. Freaking out being inside but her neck was fully healed

Then I went to put the ducks up last night and her neck was basically an open wound. I checked the camera footage throughout the day. and every clip that was recorded she was being mated by one of my two males at any given point. I felt horrible that I should have checked the camera earlier but I get motion alerts all day when they are in the pen

Have her back inside to let her neck heal and will have to find a way to keep her separate from the boys because whatever pheromone that ducks put out that get the boys going,, she mass produces apparently

Any tip to maybe keep the boys less excited by her?

Attachments

• 5D9984C8-2387-420D-858F-6792FD2F3FA7.jpeg
    5D9984C8-2387-420D-858F-6792FD2F3FA7.jpeg
    339.2 KB · Views: 26
Wow poor girl, definitely keep her away from them until they calm down. I would probably treat her neck with some vetricyn spray too.

Boys definitely go after new girls the most. We brought a girl duck in last year and the boys ignored all the other girls to overmate the poor thing, so we kept her comfortable and separate after a while. It was right at the height of mating/broody season which I feel like was a bad time to introduce a new duck but hindsight is 20/20 on that...

I also think boys might get less vicious as they get older. My two boys are still extremely mate-happy but they're older now and not nearly as violent as they were their first year. They were pretty mean now they are noticeably less aggressive. I still keep the girls separate on some days or rotate who is with who (it's complicated).

I would keep your little lady with a girl friend. That will hopefully accomplish two things, which is letting her heal and stay separate from the boys while also getting to know one of the girls in the flock and hopefully make a friend for when they go back out together.

Back
Top Bottom