Overnight in the Pond?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by RaZ, May 19, 2011.

1. RaZ

RaZ Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Apr 20, 2011
    TBD - Please help.
    It's full dark right now and my 5 pekins are still in the pond. They are ~ 5-6 weeks old and love being in the pond. The temp right now is 64' but I don't know how chilly it will get tonight. I don't have to worry about predators except for maybe a roaming cat, so I think that they would be alright in the pond as long as they stayed there.

However, I think it would be prudent on my part to put them to bed in the coop. Even if they don't seem to like going to bed.

Your thoughts?

2. julie75

julie75 Chillin' With My Peeps

At 5-6 weeks, I would put them in their house.

3. RaZ

Apr 20, 2011
    TBD - Please help.
    That's what I thought. I rousted them out of the pond and shooed them back to the coop. They went in just fine, afterall, that's where the treats are.

I was hoping that they would be smart enough to go on their own.

4. julie75

julie75 Chillin' With My Peeps

Give them time and they will. Since it has gotten warm, my olders ducks prefer to sleep outside in the covered run. Sometimes I still have to run them out of the pond, which is also fenced in, but not covered. I'm sure they would be ok at night with the dogs that we have, but I have decided it's better to be safe than sorry.

5. DurhamDuck

DurhamDuck Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2011
    Durham, Connecticut
    Your biggest worry at night with ducks on the pond would be owls. Ducks can't see them in the dark until it's too late. I would always bring my ducks in at night- even the adult ducks.

6. RaZ

Apr 20, 2011
    TBD - Please help.
    Well I don't have to worry about owls. I live in the burbs and haven't seen one here.

For the time being, I'll keep a close watch on them and if it ever warms up here, I might them them camp out.

7. ChickInDelight

ChickInDelight Never an Empty Nest

Apr 27, 2011
    Browntown, VA
    My baby duckies come when I call, (much like a quack) "duck duck duck duck". [​IMG]

It seems very easy to get ducks to come when called. Last year, my neighbor had ducks, and they came without fail from across the pond when I called. They also came out to my canoe and swam while I paddled. [​IMG]

My babies are still in the dining room, but now I can call them out to the pool and then back into the dining room without fail. I am too old and fat to be chasing them. [​IMG]

In any case, you may want to start calling them each time you feed. You will be amazed how quickly they learn to come when called! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by