Overnight Turf Wars....loud and bossy girls

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by HippieHens, Dec 13, 2012.

1. HippieHens

HippieHens Out Of The Brooder

May 31, 2012
    My two Rhode Islands rule the roost, I know that for sure. Tonight I woke up to one of those fatties balking at the other 2 sweet little ladies. It was so loud I thought they were being attacked by a raccoon or something! Oh no, one of the other chickens was just not where the RR's wanted them. Ugh!! Is there anything I can do to settle these girls down? Mostly I just want to quiet them down! 1am is not the time for turf wars. Thanks!

Last edited: Dec 13, 2012
  2. TweeTea

TweeTea Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2012
    Canberra, Australia
    Are you sure this is turf wars? From my limited experience all turf wars are done and dusted by nightfall. Once they decide to sleep that's it. I would look for evidence of mice or something disturbing them. 1am is no time for a chook to be staking claim to positioning.

3. HippieHens

May 31, 2012
    You are probably right! I never even thought about mice!! Oh boy, I have some work to do:)

4. HippieHens

May 31, 2012
    Thank you, btw:)

5. TweeTea

Dec 11, 2012
    Canberra, Australia
    no worries.

If you find out it is mice I would reccomend setting traps over using any poisons. Chook are known to eat mice so if you have poisoned the mice it poisons the chooks :S

Last year my whole district had BIG mouse problems, we reverted away from our long term feeders to daily feeds (only what we knew they would consume) to reduce excess food for the mice.

I would say use your nose and your eyes to investigate. If there are mice you can often as not smell them. We also see small dig holes where they would get into the pen, if you fill a dig hole and the next day it is open again - bamo you have a regular night-time intruder spooking your girls.

Good luck in solving the mystery, let us know how you go.

6. TweeTea

Dec 11, 2012
    Canberra, Australia
    If they are in the coop on your avataar (nice coop by the way :) it looks fairly mouse proof unless the bottom is open. Look for any evidence around the base

A mouse can squeeze through tiny holes - they are only limited by the size of their skull, but where you find one mouse there are always more. It is the law of mice "We are many and will conquer!"

Last edited: Dec 13, 2012

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by