Overpopulated parks?

BadBloodNelson

Chirping
Jun 19, 2019
Florida
Hello all. I have recently found out the local park in our town has been struggling with duck issues. There have always been lots of ducks at this particular park. It has two lakes with a road in between the lakes. Maybe 8 acres?

According to park officials people have been dumping domesticated ducks at this location for a long time. There are many breeds. The issue is people are abusing them, running them over, ect. A man was arrested in August for attacking/kicking ducks at this park (he is still in jail). People try to feed them all kinds of things (drugs included). You name it. Last week they found a dead duckling. The park officials have made contact with a local poultry company and I happen to be friends with the owner. They have been catching them and taking them to their farm.

IMG_20191204_172231277.jpg

I plan on joining the efforts. This morning I went out and fed them in attempt to "make friends" and hopefully get them used to me. I walked around for an hour and they were eating out of my hands.. then I found this drake. It looks like parts of his beak and tongue were bitten off by a snapping turtle or something of the sort. He isn't full grown. I'm guessing 4-6 months. He came home with me. I was so attached by the end of the day it was difficult to drop him off at my friend's farm. When I got there it was so sweet and perfect. The duck was being hugged by a grown man as if it were a child holding a puppy for the first time when I left. He's sleeping inside tonight. (I'm sure in my friend's bedroom!)
He looked so pathetic when I found him and was much smaller than everyone else. Didn't put up a fight when I grabbed him either. He thoroughly enjoyed the day getting spoiled before I dropped him off with my friends. (I can't have waterfowl on my property per our lakeowners association.) He eats pellets fine. Won't drink out of a dish, only the tub while he swims. I did notice he struggles when he isn't constantly in the water because of the injury. His tongue dries, turns white, and he starts panting. Not good in Florida. He will require some extra love and is in the perfect place to get it.

Has anyone else ran into parks having this issue? I felt like I was stealing a duck today. Even though the parks lady was standing right there talking to me.

At am when I get off work I plan on loading up my cages and catching a truckload of ducks to re-home. There are probably 60 ducks still at the park. I just can't imagine people not even slowing down and plowing ducks/geese over in their cars while they try to catch Pokemon..... What is the world coming to?

Jpat

Free Ranging
Apr 30, 2018
Nova scotia
Great work! Cute duck, i bet he loved the warm water and free food. i cant beleive they ate out of your hand, Must be very domesticated

We dont have that problem here in Nova Scotia. it freezes solid here all winter and no domesticated animal could survive... its a good thing in the end but i have seen a pekin at the park that i know didnt survive

Last edited:

johntfs

Songster
Dec 1, 2019
Jackson, Tennessee
Has anyone else ran into parks having this issue? I felt like I was stealing a duck today. Even though the parks lady was standing right there talking to me.
You're not. I posted a meanish thread about about somebody stealing ducklings from their mom in the wild. What you're doing is absolutely not that. Domesticated ducks need to be cared for by humans. Those that aren't live short, miserable lives. Even if some of the ducks you catch end up on somebody's dinner table, they'll have lived better lives from now until them than they would otherwise. And yes, park overpopulation is generally a problem everywhere ducks can be found.

First off, ducklings - especially those in the 0-2 week range are pretty much God's perfect cute animal. The tiny size, the beak that makes it look like it's smiling those flappy wings and adorable webbed feet going tippy-tappy on a non-carpeted floor and of course the tweeting combines into a the perfect storm of "Awwwwww!" Your natural reaction is to pick it up, coo over it and cuddle it because Cuuuuuuuuute! Especially for people with kids.

Except that they poop everywhere uncontrollably. They make messes with food and water and of course even more stuff. So after a couple or three or five weeks of that, "Daffy" is making bigger messes and producing even more stuff and isn't nearly as cute as that fluffy little duckie at the start. So Daffy gets dropped off at the park where "he'll be much happier playing with all his new duck friends."

And yes, they get hit by cars. They're short and low to the ground. Most drivers are looking out for something taller, like a humans or another car. Ducks, and especially ducklings aren't something that occurs to them. And of course some people are just genuine jerks who don't care or will go out of their way to kill ducks.

Last edited by a moderator:

Miss Lydia

~Gift of God ~ Eternal Life ~John 3:16
Premium member
Oct 3, 2009
Mountains of Western N.C.
Bless your heart for helping to get these ducklings out of that park. I say you are a hero here on BYC!! Please keep us updated on how it goes. People that are cruel to animals or dump animals should have to serve jail time it’s so sad to hear about what is happening at that park and probably many other here in our country. :(

Last edited:

BadBloodNelson

Chirping
Jun 19, 2019
Florida
You're not. I posted a meanish thread about about somebody stealing ducklings from their mom in the wild. What you're doing is absolutely not that. Domesticated ducks need to be cared for by humans. Those that aren't live short, miserable lives. Even if some of the ducks you catch end up on somebody's dinner table, they'll have lived better lives from now until them than they would otherwise. And yes, park overpopulation is generally a problem everywhere ducks can be found.

First off, ducklings - especially those in the 0-2 week range are pretty much God's perfect cute animal. The tiny size, the beak that makes it look like it's smiling those flappy wings and adorable webbed feet going tippy-tappy on a non-carpeted floor and of course the tweeting combines into a the perfect storm of "Awwwwww!" Your natural reaction is to pick it up, coo over it and cuddle it because Cuuuuuuuuute! Especially for people with kids.

Except that they poop everywhere uncontrollably. They make messes with food and water and of course even more stuff. So after a couple or three or five weeks of that, "Daffy" is making bigger messes and producing even more stuff and isn't nearly as cute as that fluffy little duckie at the start. So Daffy gets dropped off at the park where "he'll be much happier playing with all his new duck friends."

And yes, they get hit by cars. They're short and low to the ground. Most drivers are looking out for something taller, like a humans or another car. Ducks, and especially ducklings aren't something that occurs to them. And of course some people are just genuine assholes who don't care or will go out of their way to kill ducks.
I had to laugh at the poo remarks. Six chickens and a month into this "adventure" we shall call being a crazy chicken lady I decided to get an incubator. Not my brightest idea but the first clutch that went in it were white chinese goslings. It's actually how I met my wonderful friend and have learned tons from him. He came and adopted my goslings because we were drowining in their poo! I made it about 6 weeks before asking a tsc employee i knew if she knew anyone - that afternoon my life changed and I met a breeder. Became friends. Brooders have been full since, much has been learned, and it has truly been a blessing.

This is why I frown at TSC selling brooders of ducklings. Chicks are bad enough. Poor fellas. They can't control who their customers are because it's public. Ignorance is bliss. People don't do enough research and simply don't know what they are committing to when they agree to brood ducklings or goslings and end up with a mess. I've been there. It's how I lost my first chick, a BCM from coccidiosis. I had them in the same brooder before I knew what I was doing. It would be nice if TSC and similar stores would require some form of customer education prior to purchase so people at least understand what to do. We have seen people kill chicks from ignorance. It happens. I've witnessed hypothermia from ppl being cheap and not wanting to get heat lamps. One polish literally had his plume(whatever you call it) literally scorched off from a heating plate being kept too low and died, lady had nerve to ask for more and was politely educated. Waterfowl are worse than chicks. I honestly feel we live in a day and age where everyone wants to hit technology's easy button and most folks ain't got a clue as to what a straight rake is... That easy button kills brain cells! Most people can't take care of their kids much less a chick, duckling, or gosling. I just expected they know how to look in front of them in an area where children play... It's sad to be so careless.

Thank you all for your responses and I will definitely keep everyone posted as to how our little project is going. I went back out and fed them this morning after work. Honestly after feeding them and my flock I fell asleep eating lunch today. Zombie days after night shift are always interesting. Tomorrow shall be better to catch duckeys. Maybe a goose! I have noticed they start coming when I get out of the truck now. They know the lady with the Folgers can has food in there!

Last edited:

DiYMama540

Free Ranging
Jun 25, 2019
SW VA
My Coop
My Coop
Ugh...that breaks my heart :hit

I would probably be the crazy lady camping by the lakes to be the duck police! I think what you're doing is great and I hope more people in your community come together to solve the issue.

I've noticed domestic ducks dumped in our town before. There was also a rooster at one of the gas stations that either escaped or was dumped. I will say, if I had the bird set up at my house then I probably would have taken him home. Was very well mannered with all the customers coming and going.

Keep us posted on the rehoming...and pics of course!! :pop:hugs

Latest posts

Top Bottom