Overrun by roosters?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Guerillachickenherder, May 12, 2009.

1. Guerillachickenherder

Guerillachickenherder New Egg

Mar 7, 2009
    Montana
    I have a flock of 9 birds, all 10 weeks old; EE's, BR's, and BA's, all of whom were sold as pullets...I'm worried I'm going to be overrun with roosters.

I'm pretty certain they are not all pullets. In fact, I'm concerned that at least 4 are roos. Could I get a hand with sexing these birds, just so I know what I'm dealing with?

I've tried looking at hackle feather shape; some have decidedly pointier feathers. Comb development and color doesn't seem to be very different across birds of the same breed. What else should I be looking for?

There are 3 EE's, One red, one red w/ grey head and tail, and one red w/ black face, hackle, and tail. The grey one is smaller.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

There are 3 BA's, one is smaller than the other two, but comb color is similar.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

There are 3 BR's, all about the same size, same color.

[​IMG]

(only one pic... They really do look identical; I tell 'em apart by their personalities)

-GCH

2. ve

ve Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2009
    Palmetto GA
    I do not see any roosters

3. txchickie

txchickie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2008
    Texas
    They all appear to be pullets to me [​IMG]

4. Sunny Side Up

Sunny Side Up Count your many blessings...

Mar 12, 2008
    Loxahatchee, Florida
    By this age you should be able to see the pointy hackle & saddle feathers beginning to sprout from the skin. Part the feathers at those places to see if anyone has their man-feathers growing in.

What a lovely multi-colored flock!

5. ArizonaDesertChicks

ArizonaDesertChicks Eggstactic for Pretty Eggs

Dec 8, 2008
    Glendale, AZ
    I don't see any roosters in those photos -- you're lucky - all hens and a very pretty flock.

6. LilbitChicken

LilbitChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2009
    Love the photos- beautiful girls![​IMG] [​IMG]

7. Guerillachickenherder

Guerillachickenherder New Egg

Mar 7, 2009
    Montana
    Thanks for the quick replies, good news, and for the compliments![​IMG]

I'll check for the pointy feathers this afternoon...

Originally, we bought extra chicks to hedge against accidental deaths and accidental roosters. Only one didn't make it (day3). We were going to send roos and extra hens to the dinner table, but friends of ours lost three of four hens to a dog intrusion this winter. Hopefully they'll get a nice surprise here in a few weeks!

-GCH

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by