Overview of diseases

happinesshill

In the Brooder
9 Years
Aug 31, 2010
I am new to the chicken thing really...
I was wondering if someone could give me a basic overview of the main things that will go wrong with chickens, what the symptoms are and what the treatment is?
I have now realized that my hens are getting the dry fowl pox. Does this affect the eggs?
I take it that this disease will not kill the hens?

I wish I had a summary of potential things that could go wrong.
Also, I read somewhere on here, at about 6 months of age to worm them?
I never did this. Is it necessary?
What is the medicine I should use?
Thanks for any info!

Hello, happinesshill.
frow.gif
I have used this link more than once - I like it because you can search by symptom, although the information applies to birds in general and not just chickens. I hope it helps with some of your questions. I am new to chickens as well, I have no experience with fowl pox and have not wormed. Hope someone else comes along soon to answer your specific questions.

http://www.avianweb.com/sickbirdsymptoms.html#vent

Here are some helpful resources for you. www.colchesterpoultryclub.com/health.htm
merck vet manual...also...msucares.com
Dry fowl pox will cause hens to slow down laying eggs, eggs are safe to eat. Dry fowl pox will not kill chickens, usually it goes away on its own in about a month. It's contagious to other chickens. Mosquitos carry the virus. It causes nodules and scabs on the combs, wattles, around the eyes. Applying iodine to the scabs helps dry them out quicker. There's a vaccine available that can be given to non affected birds. Secondary infections can occur such as a scratch becoming infected in which case an antibiotic may be required. Observation is about the only thing you can do until it disappears.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom