Overweight Coturnix Hen

Discussion in 'Quail' started by Robo, Nov 10, 2010.

1. Robo

Robo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2010
    Knoxville,TN
    I have a coturnix hen that is huge. She lays double or tripple yolk eggs almost all of the time. Her belly drags the ground when she runs, and my roosters have a hard time mating with her.[​IMG] Any ideas on how to slim her down a bit?

2. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    Will she eat greens? How much room does she have to run around in?

If she keeps laying such big eggs and she is so big, I am thinking people here might want some of her offspring!! [​IMG]

3. Robo

Jul 15, 2010
    Knoxville,TN
    She will eat anything. I put collard greens in there and she eats a lot of them. She is in and 8x3 cage with about 20 others, so they have about 1.5 square feet each.

4. JJMR794

JJMR794 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    She May Have A Defect --- Metabolic Problem? Causes Her To Be Overweight And Lay Mult Yolkers? Kind Of Like Hypothyroidism In Humans---causes Slow Metabolism... Just Grasping At Straws Really, But It Is Plausible.

5. Buttercup Chillin

Buttercup Chillin Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 27, 2008
    SouthEast TX
    Quote:Actually, I was thinking the same thing. That is why Coturnix are studied so much, they have diseases (mutations) along the lines of us. Us, being humans in general.

No, this is one I would not want in my Breeder pen, no matter how big she was.
    More than likely going to be a short lived specimen. Definately will stop laying sooner than her siblings. She's wasting all her egg yolks.

6. Toast n Jelly

Toast n Jelly Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2007
    St.Charles, QC
    I'd pull her from the breeder cage and keep her with a friend. Her eggs would be great for selling/eating eggs for as long as she produces.

7. Robo

Jul 15, 2010
    Knoxville,TN
    I finally figured out what was wrong with her. She was eating cat food that my neighbod had been throwing to them. I caught her today hording all of it in her little corner.

8. JJMR794

JJMR794 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    Contrary To What Some Folks Think Cat Food Is Actually Quite Bad For Quail

9. Robo

Jul 15, 2010
    Knoxville,TN
    [​IMG]I know that now. I have to put up another fence so my neighbors will quit giving them cat food and bread. They even throw seed into their cage. They said that I was not feeding them right so they had to step in or they would die. I really wish I could move somewhere else. You would think a fence would send the message, but I have to build one with no big gaps. I hate neighbors.

10. BobwhiteQuailLover

BobwhiteQuailLover Country Girl[IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.

Sep 25, 2010
    Wisconsin
    Quote:Is it bad for pheasants?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by