Overweight Quail Any Advise?

TinaandJohnny

Chirping
Aug 23, 2022
Hey! So I know this is strange but I think one of my quail is very over weight and I would like to help her lose weight. Her name is Chubs, she got that name before she was so large. When she was a baby, she would always be in the food dish, even when everyone else was sleeping. (How she got her name) She’s a celadon mix, I got her and her siblings as eggs, from a local breeder, hatched them myself. They are super friendly, always come say hi when I go to the cage and great layers. She wasn’t large until this winter, she started to get really big. They aren’t for meat, just eggs and companions. I originally thought she may have been sick with something but she acted perfectly normal, ate normally, drank normally. I feed them fresh fruit and veggies, every morning, quail food which consists of a variety of seeds, they get oyster shells for heathy eggs, wheat grass, live crickets as treats. I have 7.5ftx2.5ft cage, with 6 girls in the one she’s in, dust bath, hut, fresh water. They are spoiled. They also get to go in spacious pen when it’s warm out, to run, jump around and look for stuff. I’m just wonder if anyone has any advise on this? Nobody else is this over weight. She’s very happy and jumps around and flaps her wings. (Also tumbles because of her size) I have a photo of her but can take more if people are interested. She’s not yet a year. Her little legs aren’t close together and her belly bulges. So any advise? Or this is how she is?

Attachments

• C31072DE-FA10-4716-96E8-3FA7FF04F15F.jpeg
    C31072DE-FA10-4716-96E8-3FA7FF04F15F.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 496
It sound like she's not getting a good diet. For starters, cut all of the treats (fruits, veggies, seeds) and give her a good game bird crumble. You're looking for something in the 20-24% protein range for an adult quail.

I have seen feed that says it's for quail that's is full of seeds that has only 7% protein.

I think you'll find that her weight drops naturally once she's on a proper diet

It sound like she's not getting a good diet. For starters, cut all of the treats (fruits, veggies, seeds) and give her a good game bird crumble. You're looking for something in the 20-24% protein range for an adult quail.

I have seen feed that says it's for quail that's is full of seeds that has only 7% protein.

I think you'll find that her weight drops naturally once she's on a proper diet
Gotcha! 20-24% protein. Do you have a suggestion on brand?

I like Hunt & Behrens or Bar Ale, but you may not find those where you are. Just look for game bird layer or maintenance feed and check the nutrition label.
Okay, I will online to look for the brands you suggested! Thank you for the constructive feedback! They’re health and longevity is the most important thing!

I like Hunt & Behrens or Bar Ale, but you may not find those where you are. Just look for game bird layer or maintenance feed and check the nutrition label.

I live in Petaluma! Which of the Hunt & Behrens feeds do you suggest for adult coturnix? I was planning to keep mine on the 30% Purina Gamebird Starter until they're ~8-10 weeks, unless there's a starter from H&B that you think is better... 👀

I live in Petaluma! Which of the Hunt & Behrens feeds do you suggest for adult coturnix? I was planning to keep mine on the 30% Purina Gamebird Starter until they're ~8-10 weeks, unless there's a starter from H&B that you think is better... 👀
They have a game bird crumble. That's what I always bought when I lived there. I miss them. Good price, good feed.

Back
Top Bottom