1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Overwhelmed and in Need of Experienced Advice on Reliable Hatcheries for Blue Ameraucana (Not EE), a

Discussion in 'Chicken Breeders & Hatcheries' started by RoosterCogburn7, Dec 21, 2014.

1. RoosterCogburn7

RoosterCogburn7 Chicken Atlas Farm NPIP 74-4231 Premium Member

Dec 5, 2014
    As the title would indicate, I have been all over the web, and have ended up more confused than educated. I am relying on the wealth of knowledge here to winnow down to the folks out there that have a reputation of reliability and quality. I am in the process of building a coop that can easily hold 10 of each comfortably. I already have a pen of EE's that have given light green, darker green, and pink eggs of the three that are laying. I am trying to add more diversity of egg colors (sky blue, chocolate brown), with the added benefit of keeping the lines pure, or creating an Olive Egger as well.

It seems many smaller hatcheries have French Black Copper Marans and Blue Ameraucanas, but I know virtually nothing about who or what I am dealing with as far the multitude of hatcheries out there. Some of which listed have websites that have been devoured by cyberspace to be no more. And that concerns me.

The coloration of the eggs keeps my children interested, and I plan on providing what we cannot use for sale locally, and as many of you know, egg diversity color seems to do well.

Thanks in advance for your wealth of experience to assist the truly ignorant (myself) in figuring out a solid hatchery.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2014
  2. RoosterCogburn7

Dec 5, 2014
    I found a corresponding website to a BYC'er with a very positive encounter. I am looking forward to Spring. [​IMG]

3. Ray from PA

Ray from PA Chillin' With My Peeps

Hatchery bred Marans will seldom give you the dark egg color you are probably looking for.
    I recommend looking for a breeder near you or one that will ship chicks to you that can offer you the egg color you are looking for.
    There are Marans groups here on BYC and facebook as well.

4. RoosterCogburn7

Dec 5, 2014
    I think I did. I had a very positive PM with a fellow BYC'er: Taylor Hobby Farms. They have a positive reputation here, and it seems like they have what I need.

5. btguy

btguy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 19, 2013
    North Mississippi
    I have done well with maran from chicken scratch poultry but still working on blue myself

6. RoosterCogburn7

Dec 5, 2014
    I wanted to stay with Black, simply because I wanted to get as close to the French Standard as possible.

7. btguy

Dec 19, 2013
    North Mississippi
    They have black and blue Marans... But I meant blue egg layers

8. RoosterCogburn7

Dec 5, 2014
    Ah, yes, the Ameraucana, or the other blue egg layer Cream Legbar?

9. btguy

Dec 19, 2013
    North Mississippi
    I got eggs from both off eBay but they are only 7 weeks. Probably hatchery quality but all I really care about is egg color and them not being too aggressive.

10. RoosterCogburn7

Dec 5, 2014
    I would not trust Ebay poultry, but that is just me. I want to deal with people with a proven reputation when it comes to rare breeds.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by