Overwhelmed newbie

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Lollidella64, Nov 22, 2016.

1. Lollidella64

Lollidella64 New Egg

Nov 22, 2016
    Hello! Im Lorena from California and I recently took on the role of taking care of my mothers chickens. I honestly haven't a clue on anything but basics, if that, but since I took this task unexpectedly I havent had the opportunity to know so much. I am enjoying it so far, as we are lucky to have such sassy chickens, but I am still "wet behind the ears" and any assistance or advice will be greatly appreciated~

2. N F C

N F C dem crazy bones Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]

Hi Lorena, I'm glad to hear you're enjoying being a chicken-sitter! Take a look at the tab labeled "Learning Center", there are a lot of very helpful articles there that should answer a lot of questions you may have. And if you can't find what you're looking for, always feel comfortable asking questions...everyone is here to help each other.

Thanks for joining us!

3. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Very nice to meet you Lorena- Welcome to the Backyard chickens flock. Stay calm - BYC has your back. Someone is generally on 24/7 - if you need help or answers just let us know.

4. Lollidella64

Lollidella64 New Egg

Nov 22, 2016
    Thank you so much! I still have plenty to read, but I'm hopeful that both my mother's chickens and myself will be better for it :)

5. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    Hi :welcome Lorena

Glad you could join us here! How exciting for you to be taking on your own chicken adventure! I'm sure you will do just fine and everyone here can help you along the way. Be sure to ask all the questions you need to.

Good luck and enjoy BYC :frow

6. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hello Lorena and welcome to our community. I'm sure you will do just fine and we are to here to help you, whenever you need it.

Best wishes
    CT

7. BlueBaby

BlueBaby Chillin' With My Peeps

Hello, and welcome to BYC!

8. MasAhora

MasAhora Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 20, 2016
    Paraguay
    I can relate! A year ago I moved to a property that came with 15 hens and a rooster and 2 donkeys plus a couple of street dogs!
    All a first for me. One suggestion I can offer, when something goes wrong, do not beat yourself up too much. Just focus on learning from it, from each situation I've gained a growing amount of general awareness and knowledge.

9. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Welcome to BYC [​IMG] There is a lot of good info in the Learning Center to get your started. Enjoy your new venture!

10. RodNTN

RodNTN Following Jesus

May 22, 2013
    The USA
    My Coop
    Hi and [​IMG] I am glad you joined us Lorena! As everyone has said, BYC has your back! Best wishes!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by