overwhelmed...

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by heavenlychick, Mar 2, 2013.

1. heavenlychick

heavenlychick Out Of The Brooder

Mar 1, 2013
    central oregon
    This site has sooo much to offer so much information so many people posting pictures and information web sites I can't keep up or seem to maneuver this site correctly...

2. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    The best way is to find out what you want to know the most and concentrate on that thread. I was the same way when I first discovered BYC - [​IMG] Too much info!! But soon I realized I had little need for some of the forums, leaving me more time and energy for the ones I do use.

3. heavenlychick

Mar 1, 2013
    central oregon
    Thank u very much

4. RonC

RonC Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2012
    D/FW
    It is a busy forum. There are several topics that are hotly discussed. Read what everone has to say and make your own decisions, obviously each way has it's merits and will work if done properly. You can follow threads you have posted to by clicking your name near the top right. The learning center is full of good information for beginners and some not so beginners. Anything you need to know you can probably find or just ask if you can't find it. Somebody has been there abd done that.
    and [​IMG]

5. heavenlychick

Mar 1, 2013
    central oregon
    Thank you also. Tons of information which is great for newbies like myself

6. LVchicks

LVchicks Out Of The Brooder

Jan 28, 2013
    :D There is so much, isn't there?
    I'm new to this too. For myself, I try and stick to the forums that address what I need to know *now* and important information that I need in planning (like coop requirements). My chicks are healthy now I don't need to read on how to treat a chicken with a cold, I don't live in freezing cold temperatures, I don't need to worry about how to keep a coop warm in sub zero temps and for now I don't care what incubator is best or need to now what pipping is. In the beginning I needed to know just what it took to keep chickens safely-for them and my family, if it was something we were ready to take on, What breeds would work best for us and how to feed and house them for optimum health. Everything else...for now....is gravy.
    Just stick with what you need to know...now. Digest and comprehend that info and then move on to the less urgent things.

7. heavenlychick

Mar 1, 2013
    central oregon
    Awesome advice lv :)) tyty

8. aggiemae

aggiemae Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2012
    Salem Oregon
    Another thing to remember is that you can always SEARCH any topic and get loads of advice without starting a new thread!

9. OCpeep

OCpeep Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 8, 2012
    Orange County, CA
    I started in the learning center then focused on the forums that applied to what I needed/wanted to know.

10. 3riverschick

3riverschick Poultry Lit Chaser

May 19, 2009
    western PA
    My Coop
    Hi,
    Yes it can be mind-boggling! I pick the forums which interest me. Then when I find a thread which i think will repeatedly interest me, I "subscribe" to it. Then set the subscription to "No Mail". Right now I am subscribed to 53 threads in different sections of the forum. Then when I log on, I look at my subscriptions and pick the ones I want to check out that day. It makes BYC much more manageable and keeps BYC mail from crowding my personal email box. Thanks BYC for this useful feature!
    Best,
    Karen

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by