Overwhelming Rooster

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by NoraJeann, Apr 2, 2016.

1. NoraJeann

NoraJeann Out Of The Brooder

Mar 13, 2016
    Hey yall I have an EE rooster who has always been on top of everything, eyes to the sky, head turning every which way, comes running if one of his girls even makes a peep. Well he is about 8yrs old, and has never been with more than 7 hens, well about a week ago, he had 7 more added to his harem. Now he looks like he is flat out exhausted. Squinty eyes, slow, although still fairly alert. I am not sure, if he could just be trying to mate so many hens at once, or if he is just trying to control to large of a flock, or maybe his age is catching up to him. Do you think I need to add another rooster or could it be more of an age thing?

2. enola

enola Overrun With Chickens

How many days ago did you put the chickens together? How long were your new chickens quarantined? I don't want to scare you, but, this could be the beginning of a disease.

3. NoraJeann

Mar 13, 2016
    I put them in about a week ago, I think 6 days. I didn't quarantine, because these were chickens who all free range on my property, just on opposite sides. None have been sick, or have mites, or anything like that. They have just never been together, they may have mingled before, but there coops are about an acre apart.

4. enola

Can you post a picture of how he is standing around? None of the other chickens are acting unwell?

5. enola

I would worry about coccidia.

6. TheTwoRoos

TheTwoRoos Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 25, 2015
    Sounds like a age thing or even stress.A few more hens shouldn't stress him out much.

7. NoraJeann

Mar 13, 2016
    I will post a picture away. None are acting any different, it is only him.

I will look into it, I have never dealt with it before.
    I am hoping it isn't his time yet, I have since his incubator days when I was in 6th grade.

8. NoraJeann

Mar 13, 2016
    And he didn't go out to free range today either, stayed in the run all day long. So he knows he isn't doing well.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. NoraJeann

Mar 13, 2016
    Anyone have any advice? Both eyes have shut today, still walking and standing tall, and crowing. Doesn't want to come out to free range though.

10. enola

Sounds like the new chickens brought a respiratory infection to your flock.

pm casportpony for advice

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by