1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Overwinter my chickens in garage?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by JPJewell, Jun 4, 2016.

1. JPJewell

JPJewell Just Hatched

May 28, 2016
    We live in South Central WI and had what I hope is not too bizarre a thought. Has anyone ever moved their chickens to the garage, say for January/February? We have a 2 car and only need half for the car & I have spare 2x3's for framing an area. Or... is it too disruptive for them? Thanks & sorry if this is too whacky... I'm a complete newbie.

2. BruceAZ

BruceAZ Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2016
    Valley of the Sun :)
    who many chickens do you have?

does your garage have vents on the side ?

i would worry about smell and also the exhaust from the car

3. Molpet

Molpet Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2015
    N. Illinois
  4. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

Is it possible? Sure. I've stuck a couple of my seramas out in the garage, and I know many who will bring (outdoor) pet rabbits into the garage for the winter.

But I'd think it'd be a logistical nightmare if you had more than 2-3 birds. And you couldn't leave a car running (just driving in and shutting off the engine is no big deal - but letting a car warm up in a closed garage for ten minutes would probably put off a lot of fumes)...

In a two car garage, I personally wouldn't worry too much about ammonia build-up with just a couple of birds...assuming you keep things fairly clean, and I don't see you attempting DLM in a garage...lol!

I do baby my birds a bit, so I'm not going to say "don't do this or that" when it comes to worrying about making chickens more comfortable. But the fact of the matter is that in a draft free coop, with good food and liquid water available, healthy birds (at least winter hardy breeds) can deal with cold weather fairly well... Plug in dog water bowls are a cheap, simple way to keep water unfrozen.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by