Overwintering ducks

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by SergeantSniffle, Mar 16, 2017.

1. SergeantSniffle

SergeantSniffle Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2014
    Could ducks (and geese) survive or even thrive on a lake in winter if a small section is kept open with an aerator? Sort of as you do with swans, although the ducks will have access to a duck house. There is also a thick layer of cattails surrounding the lake, 5-20 feet at any given spot. They will also be provided with food.

2. TLWR

TLWR Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    southern AL
    I've seen plenty of ducks overwintered in upstate NY with small ponds where a spot is kept open as much as possible for them, but there isn't always water available in the pond, if pond is not available, water is provided for drinking that isn't frozen.

3. Krazyquilts

Krazyquilts Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

I get my ducks's feed from Cedar Crest Farm and Feed in Kirtland Hills, OH, and she has a similar set-up to the one you're describing and her ducks seem as happy as, well, as happy as ducks. Which is pretty darn happy. ;-) Every time I stop to get feed, her ducks are out on the pond, swimming and being ducky and even preferring to sleep outside rather than in the duck house.

4. SergeantSniffle

SergeantSniffle Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2014
    Wow, Thanks for the replies, they're quite reassuring haha. I wasn't just concerned about Minnesota's horrible winters. Sometimes the highs go into the negatives with crazy wind chill that makes it even colder for days a time a time and highs in the teens with lows in the negatives for weeks. Brrr

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by