Overworked hens

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by SebrightSon, Aug 16, 2013.

1. SebrightSon

SebrightSon New Egg

Aug 16, 2013
    Missouri
    Hello, this is my first post and I have a flock of around 40 with a separate flock of 6 silkies. Almost all of my hens, with the exceptions of a few RIR's, a few Buff Orps, 2 blacks australorps, and 2 spitchzhaubens experience extreme feather loss in the area where our rosters mount them. I only have 3 roosters in my big flock. This doesn't happen at all with my separated flock of 3 silkie hens and 3 roo's, and yes I know that's a bad ratio... Is it the roosters or something else? I know that removing the roosters would help but I don't really want to do that.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2013
  2. CowGrrrl

CowGrrrl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2013
    That shouldn't be happening if you have a strong flock.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2013
  3. liz9910

liz9910 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2012
    Northern California
    Welcome to BYC! What is your rooster to hen ratio in your big flock? It should be 1 rooster to about 10 hens. You can check them for mites, or they could be moulting. If they are being over bred, there is a couple of options, take the boys out or buy the hens some "hen saddles". There are members of BYC that sell them. Good luck.

4. dwalters

dwalters Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2013
    Southern Michigan
    If your roos have spurs u can trim them back. Its like a big toenail. Make sure u have blood stop powder without anything "Caine" such as lidocaine or banzocaine. can also use silver nitrate sticks or flour but I have found u must apply pressure for a few mins. I only trim the sharp point. Enough to leave a blunt edge. Don't cut all the way down by the leg.

5. Mr MKK FARMS

Mr MKK FARMS Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 27, 2012
    Welcome to BYC! Glad you joined us! [​IMG]

6. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! Happy you joined!

7. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG] You have a good ratio of hens to roosters in your big flock but, it sounds like the roosters are overbreeding some of your hens. The ones without the feather loss are probably NOT their favorites. You could try separating the baldy hens from the flock with a fence to divide the pen. They can still see each other but, it would give their backs a chance to heal. If they do heal you'll know the roosters are the culprit.

You can get hen saddles(aprons) from BYCers who advertise in "everything else for sale," in the Buy,sell,trade forum. Some hens will not adjust to wearing them

8. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas and [​IMG]! Great to have you with us!

9. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Welcome to BYC [​IMG] Glad you joined us!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by