1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Owl came to visit

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by balbrt1, Aug 17, 2013.

1. balbrt1

balbrt1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2013
    Illinois
    I don't think it was after chicks but it could have been after another animal. DH found it dead this morning still attached to the electric fence. It had burned it from the inside out. Had a hole burned through it's chest. Better him than my chicks. So having an electric fence does work

2. thomasboyle

thomasboyle Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2013
    Northwest Hills of CT
    Wow! What type of charger do you have hooked up to your fence? Mine pulses, so I don't think it would kill anything unless it become hopelessly tangled in the netting. What type of owl was it? How big? We have had a Northern Saw Whet Owl that comes around occasionally, but it is a tiny species of owl, and not capable of taking a chicken.

3. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    Something else got it. Bullet or another raptor. You just found body.

4. balbrt1

Apr 13, 2013
    Illinois
    I don't know the kind it was and I will have to look on it to who made it. All I know it keeps everything away. Just this morning a hawk was sitting on the hood of our truck which is about 20 feet from my back door. We have not let the chicks out yet this morning. He could carry away one of my silkies or seramas

5. CosmoTheRooster

CosmoTheRooster Out Of The Brooder

May 24, 2013
    Oklahoma
    I always have owls around my coop. They have never bothered my young flock. Depending on where you are, you will have to worry about different flying predators. In Oklahoma, I have Cooper's Hawks, Red-tailed Hawks, Mississippi Kites, Kestrels, etc... . Just keep an eye out for low flying birds of prey around your coop.

-Cosmo

6. balbrt1

Apr 13, 2013
    Illinois
    Thanks for the tips, Cosmo. I worry about anything that could get my birds. We are redoing another room in our shed and making another run for my Silkies and Seramas which will make me feel better.

7. CosmoTheRooster

CosmoTheRooster Out Of The Brooder

May 24, 2013
    Oklahoma
    No problem, I worry about my chickens more than anything! I can't sleep without knowing they are safe and sound.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by