1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Owl deterrent to scare off hawks???

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by six little chicks, May 19, 2010.

1. six little chicks

six little chicks Out Of The Brooder

Apr 30, 2010
    Hornell, NY
    Last night I was talking to my boyfriend about the problem we have in our area with hawks. He asked if I thought a owl deterrent(fake wooden) in the apple tree next to the coop would work. I told him I would ask you guys and get your opinion. I have learned so much and have gotten some great advice from this forum. [​IMG] Thanks.

2. elmo

elmo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2009
    DFW
    Hmm, I think fake crows might actually be more of a deterrent to hawks than a fake owl. I've seen crows chasing hawks out of our neighborhood many times, but never an owl since they mostly are nocturnal, right?

I wouldn't rely on any decoy as my main hawk protection, though. A run with a roof of some kind, even netting or chicken wire, is your safest bet.

3. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

I'm pretty sure I remember reading a similar post last fall where someone reported a hawk perching on top of their owl decoy... [​IMG] I think the general consensus was that those statues didn't really work against hawks...maybe do a search.

4. fancbrd4me02

fancbrd4me02 Chillin' With My Peeps

I'm not sure if it would work. I know that the hawks are not too worried about my real Barn Owls, even when they come out in the day. However, my crows harass everything, owls and hawks.

5. six little chicks

six little chicks Out Of The Brooder

Apr 30, 2010
    Hornell, NY
    Thanks for the help, we are planning on putting a top on the run, but it was a thought for more added protection.

6. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

Now many have had success with stringing cds (like maybe on fishing line) and hanging them around, near, or over the coop. The reflective light here and there seems to mess with hawks. It looks a little tacky, but if it works... [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by