Owl deterrent to scare off hawks???

six little chicks

In the Brooder
9 Years
Apr 30, 2010
Hornell, NY
Last night I was talking to my boyfriend about the problem we have in our area with hawks. He asked if I thought a owl deterrent(fake wooden) in the apple tree next to the coop would work. I told him I would ask you guys and get your opinion. I have learned so much and have gotten some great advice from this forum.
big_smile.png
Thanks.

Hmm, I think fake crows might actually be more of a deterrent to hawks than a fake owl. I've seen crows chasing hawks out of our neighborhood many times, but never an owl since they mostly are nocturnal, right?

I wouldn't rely on any decoy as my main hawk protection, though. A run with a roof of some kind, even netting or chicken wire, is your safest bet.

I'm pretty sure I remember reading a similar post last fall where someone reported a hawk perching on top of their owl decoy...
gig.gif
I think the general consensus was that those statues didn't really work against hawks...maybe do a search.

I'm not sure if it would work. I know that the hawks are not too worried about my real Barn Owls, even when they come out in the day. However, my crows harass everything, owls and hawks.

Now many have had success with stringing cds (like maybe on fishing line) and hanging them around, near, or over the coop. The reflective light here and there seems to mess with hawks. It looks a little tacky, but if it works...
hu.gif

Back
Top Bottom