owl in my meatie pen

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by dustyw, Sep 14, 2010.

1. dustyw

dustyw Out Of The Brooder

Jan 17, 2010
    This morning on my way out to feed the meaties I noticed a large bird in the PVC coop. Once I got closer I realized it was the biggest owl I have ever seen. He killed 2, but was pretty frantic trying to get out. I opened the door and he flew out. I decided to let him go this time, but next time he won't be so lucky, he'll find out what the whizbang plucker is all about. I have the wire mesh on all the sides, but the top had the deer netting. I found it the netting on the door 2 cuts about his feet width apart and about 10 inches long. I suspect he swooped down and did not see the netting and sliced right threw it and then could not find his way back out. Does anybody think he will be back after being trapped in there? If so, how can I deter him from coming back? A light? A radio?

2. KatyTheChickenLady

KatyTheChickenLady Bird of A Different Feather

Dec 20, 2008
    Boise, Idaho
    owls are predators and you have pen full of prey so my guess is that he will be back.

3. jaku

jaku Chillin' With My Peeps

The 3 S's is my rule of thumb for all predators (except eagles, which I'd LOVE to watch eat my birds)

Shoot
    Shovel
    Shut up

4. KatyTheChickenLady

Dec 20, 2008
    Boise, Idaho
    i dont know . . . I have eagles and they are BIG!!! they leave my birds alone though.

5. jaku

jaku Chillin' With My Peeps

We have a bald eagle that only comes around when I have birds. He circles so high you can barely see him. I'd give anything to seehim dive-bomb my tractor and grab a bird!

6. rungirl

rungirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2010
    Columbus, Ohio
    I heard a rutkus in my coop last night and went out and found a HUGE owl. I soccer kicked him out! Whew, that was close! No real harm done, just a few tail feathers were pulled out of a hen. That could have been bad... I forgot to shut the coop door before bed! Lesson learned!

Last edited: Sep 15, 2010
  7. geebs

geebs Lovin' the Lowriders!

Sep 28, 2008
    Upright post into the air.... deter them.... They can't land w/o banging thier wings... so they won't try it. I have ones that hover... but they never come down.

8. SteveH

SteveH Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2009
    West/Central IL
    The bad experience may stop a second attempt , but I wouldn't count on it . They're protected by federal law ; I sure wouldn't be posting advice on doing anything illegal on a public forum .

9. dustyw

dustyw Out Of The Brooder

Jan 17, 2010
    Well if he gets stuck in there again, that will be his last time. Maybe I could get him stuffed and hang outside so my unruley rooster will behave.

10. KatyTheChickenLady

Dec 20, 2008
    Boise, Idaho
    lol did you see the post above yours?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by