owl in the coop!!!

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by colby318, Jan 16, 2009.

1. colby318

colby318 got 'dottes?

Jul 14, 2008
    Stamping Ground, KY
    Hubby and I got home at 2:30 am. We work nights at the Toyota Camry factory. It's 1 degree outside so I should have the heat bulbs on. Nope. Just the white light that comes on 2:00 am. I can hear the birds in the coop. So I go in the coop to see if they've unplugged the heat bulbs. They like to play. I step on a bird outside in the run. What the.... there's chickens everywhere outside! (I have 61) I go in the coop and there's this owl backed in the corner of the coop and a headless pullet at my feet. I think the owl got blinded by the light bulb when it clicked on. I KNOW I've been putting off getting a flight net even though the hawk/owl problem hasn't happened to me, yet. I just never thought an owl would walk through the chickens' door for dinner.

So...
    Anybody else have an owl go in the coop, too? Would a plastic owl keep others away? I know they're territorial.
    Also, do you have recommendations for flight net suppliers? I need around a 25' by 50'.
    Colby in KY

2. cw

cw Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2009
    green co.
    I dont know about a plastic owl? it may actually backfire on you and attract more owls? but it help keep the other stuff out.
    get the netting i dont know about stamping ground but old green co has a ton of red tail. youd probably get your use out of the nettin, how did the owl get in you say? i had a good friend named mike that worked for toyota but was paralyzed in a car wreck few years back?

3. colby318

colby318 got 'dottes?

Jul 14, 2008
    Stamping Ground, KY
    Sorry about your friend. [​IMG] I have a solar garden shed I bought from Lowe's for my coop. A nice big 8' by 10'. The regular door is closed unless I'm doing my chores in there. We cut out a 12" by 18" door at ground level for the birds. We never close that since we go to work before they roost for the night. But they're done free ranging for the day and are locked in the run. That owl walked right through the chickens' door!!! The pullet was frozen so I think the owl got confused on how to get back out since 3/4 of one side of the coop is glassed.

I've had hens disappear in the middle of the day without a trace but NEVER a "home invasion" like this.

*I love this solar shed since it lets in morning light and has 4 vents pre-assembled in it. It keeps heat in the winter and has nice air flow in the summer.

Colby in KY

4. 39jdeere

39jdeere Out Of The Brooder

Dec 13, 2007
    MINNESOTA
    Put a couple crow decoys out there that will help on on owls or hawks.Should move them evry once an awhile

5. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    I am sorry to hear of your loss. Owls will go through a door...why not? Easy dinner. If you are going to use any plastic decoys....do not use an Owl. Use a crow type decoy.

You really should have netting over the run if you are not going to be home...or th chicken door closed at night. I know it is a pain, but leaving that chicken door open is asking for trouble.

Good luck.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by