Owl tries to eat my chicken in daytime

ChickencareBell

In the Brooder
Jul 16, 2016
I had just seen an owl try to eat my chicken in broad daylight. I couldn't believe that I had seen an owl at day. Does anyone know what type of owl it was? How do I deal with the owl? I have to at least free range my chicken for at least two or three days until I get a coop. The owl was about 1 foot in length. I live in Illinois.

Although most owls hunt primarily at night it's not all that uncommon for some to hunt during the day.
"About 1 foot in length"---could be a barn owl.
He or she will be back, whatever kind of owl it was.
If it were me I would think twice before letting it free range.
Am I reading this right---you have one chicken and no coop? Put it someplace safe before it becomes an easy meal for whatever is out there!

Did it have ear tufts? If so, a great horned owl....We have a pair of them nearby and I often see and hear them in daylight hours. We keep our chickens in their run because of these owls.

We have seem them occasionally during daylight but they are much bigger than one foot tall, I think.
This is a terribly grainy pic but here's a Great Horned Owl on our big dead tree. This is a big tree and this is a HUGE owl!!!
The second pic is the same tree with a turkey vulture for size comparison.
Owl on our tree..jpg

Vulture in our dead tree.jpg

Last edited:
Young owls learn to hunt during the day time with their parents.

Hungry owls will hunt during the daytime.

Provide lots of hiding spaces for your chickens....or consider keeping them locked up until you are able to be outside with them while they free range.

I heard the owls hooting all day, from different directions, into the evening hours, all summer long.

I was outside often and didn't have a problem with the owls.

Your chickens and guineas can free range. Provide lots of hiding places.

Back
Top Bottom