Owl!

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Agnella, Aug 10, 2010.

1. Agnella

Agnella Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2010
    N. Georgia
    The other night I was sitting in the run with my 8 BO's when they all started making some noises I hadn't heard from them before.
    They were all chanting bawkbawkbawkbawkbawkbaGAAWWK!bawkbawkbawkbawkbawkbaGAAWWK!bawkbawkbawkbawkbawkbaGAAWWK!bawkbawkbawkbawkbawkbaGAAWWK! Over and over and over and over.....

I noticed a few of my girls looking up to the trees so I followed their gaze and there it was--a big 'ol owl just sitting there. Looking down on us. It flew away after a few minutes.
    It was definitely bed time for the ladies and five of them made their own way into their coop but three of them stayed behind on my lap. They were scared and huddled in together nuzzling on me. It was kinda sweet really! They trust me!

I ended up doing a bit of a duck walk over to the coop door to get them all in without having to push them off of my lap.

My girls were safe and sound the next morning! That was our first predator experience!

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Keep your eyes open now that the owl knows where your chickens are. If there is no roof on your pen, an owl is not beyond entering your coop through the chicken door.

3. Mrs. Fluffy Puffy

Mrs. Fluffy Puffy Fluffy Feather Farm

Jan 26, 2010
    Texas, Panhandle
    Wow, sure glad your girls are safe, sounds like they sure love their mommy! [​IMG]

4. Agnella

Agnella Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2010
    N. Georgia
    Thanks Mrs. Fluffy Puffy! [​IMG]

There is a roof on my pen and the door is kept shut at all times. I was very surprised to see Mr. Owl though! I will keep my eye on that scoundrel.

5. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    OH, lucky you were there and so observant! I've never seen an owl around my place, but I have seen hawks. Owls sure are beautiful birds. I know that distress call you wrote about "bok-bok-bok-ba-CAW!" LOL My chickens have done that twice.....once when the neighbor's small dog came too close, and another time, Lily, one of my oldest hens, ventured over to the neighbor's and seemed to be stuck on top of their truck cap.....she just called and called until I came and got her......Now, when I hear that, I come running! So does my hubby.

Good job!

6. Mrs. Fluffy Puffy

Mrs. Fluffy Puffy Fluffy Feather Farm

Jan 26, 2010
    Texas, Panhandle
    Quote:It's so wondeful that your gal's are living in a pred/proof coop! [​IMG] !
    Watch out for ol' Mr Owl! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by