Owl!!!!

Mt. Baker Quail

Songster
12 Years
Dec 2, 2010
Ferndale, Washington
I got home late today and went out to take care of the ducks and I saw an owl sitting on a fench post 10 feet away from the ducks and about 15 feet away from me. Anyone know what kind it is?

73085_img_6206.jpg

I know what it is, very cool! Great picture! Not sure of the species, though, a Great Grey Owl maybe. I'd suggest locking up your ducks before dark, and you won't have anything to worry about.

Last edited:
Quote:
Only small baby poultry, and if you have baby chicks running around at night they might be better off eaten. the owl does much more good.

x2

Although they will occasionally hunt before dark. And I'd be concerned about the smaller birds in your flock. If you're already hawk-proof, you'll be fine. That owl will take care of your rat population if you have one!

Last edited:
I don't know how any of you can even guess as dark as the picture is. I don't think it is a barred though, the barring on them is very distinct. This may be a Great Horned if they are in your neck of the woods. We have them here, and they are big. I can't see the head enough to really say anything concrete though. I will say, the Great Grey has a much rounder head than what I can see in this.

I honestly don't think an owl can pick up our ducks, they are big Pekins and I have a hard time handling them
lol.png

Back
Top Bottom