Owlet's Blog

chicken19

Songster
Jul 16, 2015
Riding my horse
My Coop
My Coop
Welcome to Owlet's Blog.
Owlet is a 2 week old Easter Egger chick. She's always been kinda small, and gotten pushed around by the other chickens but on March 27th I knew something was wrong! She wasn't eating or drinking and she slept whole days away in a corner of the brooder.
I started feeding her and nursing her back. Please read this thread about her: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/1091331/blind-chick/50#post_16771393

I will be writing a daily or almost daily blog entry for her, here.

March 29, 2016.
I hate my brothers and sisters.
They are always pushing me this way and that.
Whenever I try to take some water they come barreling into me like a semi-truck without brakes.
Luckily, I get snatched up by a hand from the sky and fed and watered by a spoon.
I feel better after feeding and sometimes I peck at the ground of the brooder.
There's never anything there.
My sister's are always gossiping about how Peep got new feathers and about how ugly LB (Little Blackie) is because of her crossbeak. They also talk of how brave Fluff is to go and run up to the hand when it decsends into the box.
They also talk of what's outside of the box.
They also talk of how brave and fearless Night is. I think Night's stupid. Night likes to jump on the side of the brooder. I saw him do it once. He's stupid to do it though because he doesn't know how many predators might be out there!!!
There's probably hawks and eagles and cougars and great white shark!!!!
I'm sleepy....
Owlet
jumpy.gif

(she runs over to her corner by the light and falls asleep.)

March 30th, 2016:
(Writer's note: I found out today that Owlet is not blind)
Hi there!
I am feeling better everyday!
I walked over to the waterer and tried to drink last night!
My brothers and sisters have started developing a pecking order. Sometimes a chick will challenge another chick and they start a standoff.
When they stand off they mostly just try to look scary but sometimes they start shoving each other like a pair of fighting giraffe's.
I enjoy sitting in my corner and watching these play-fight's when I'm not too sleepy.

I found out that there's a ENORMOUS mis-shapen chicken without feathers (a human) at the end of the giant hand.
It scares me when the giant hand dives into the brooder box because the hand always grabs a chick and takes them out of the box. Being out of the box scares me.
Because of predators. And who knows? Maybe the Giant Mis-shapen Chicken (GMSC) wants to eat me!!!!!
So when I see the GMSC bend over and reach into the box I try to run. I am not very fast because I'm sick and the GMSC always get's me.
Then I get fed this dis-gusting looking mush that tastes good. I still can't get over the smell of it though.

This morning when I awoke, Night leaped on top of the waterer and began to proclaim himself as the top chick. Then Owl (my healthy twin sister) ran at the Waterer and knocked him clean off!!! Me and LB (Little Blackie) giggled a lot.

I (and all the rest of the chicks) continue to wonder; what is outside of the box? Well, maybe we'll all know one day.
That's it for now,
Owlet

I am subscribing. Owlet I love hearing the point of view from a chick.
big_smile.png
Please keep eatting your food and drinking it will make you big and strong. A big thanks to the human for going above and beyond with trying to save you. God bless you both.

Back
Top Bottom