Owls and Hawks

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by harveyhorses, Jun 6, 2011.

1. harveyhorses

harveyhorses Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2010
    I have an A frame roof on my run, Yesterday afternoon, I heard the girls just going bonkers, I run over and there is a hawk sitting on the top of the roof, the girls were under their coop by then, so I just threw a stick at it and it flew off. The top is hardware cloth, or chcken wire covered with a tarp.
    Last night I got home and there is an owl sitting in the same spot. I KNOW the girls are safe, but any ideas on how to discorage them?
    I had actually shut the girls in their coop, because I was nervous.

2. bryan99705

bryan99705 Chillin' With My Peeps

Relax, based on your description, the birds are safe. If you want to stop the birds from perching on the roof of the coop, just string a thin wire tightly on the about 4-6 inches on the ridge. Works great to keep the birds from pooing on roofs.

3. harveyhorses

Jan 16, 2010
    Quote:RELAX?? JK Thanks for the wire idea, I just don't want them to have heart failure one night if the owl swoops down.

4. Diamond Wire Farms

Diamond Wire Farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2011
    Placerville, CA
    In theory this stuff will discourage anything from roosting on top of your run.

[​IMG]

* not my product. photo used for demonstration only*

Last edited: Jun 7, 2011
  5. bryan99705

bryan99705 Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Same concept just cheaper

6. harveyhorses

Jan 16, 2010
    That stuff looks like I could hurt myself putting it up! Also looks like it would do the job quite well, thanks!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by