Owls killing chickens/guiena's in trees

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by mrsweb, Sep 28, 2009.

1. mrsweb

mrsweb New Egg

Aug 20, 2008
    Does anyone have idea's how to keep an Owl from picking my birds out of the trees at night. I have 5 chickens and several guiena's that roost in the tree and they keep getting picked off one by one. Most go into the coop, but I have some diehards that love the tree. PLEASE HElP:(

2. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    Unfortunately, if you don't lock your birds into a predator proof coop at night they will continue to get preyed upon. Sorry.

3. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    Agree, they need to be put away in a coop for their safety from all night predators.

4. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    Lure the chickens inside and keep them peened for a few days and maybe they will learn where to sleep
    The Guineas probably wont change

5. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

Cut down the tree. Sorry, probably not what you were looking for. [​IMG]

Imp

6. Enchanted Sunrise Farms

Enchanted Sunrise Farms Overrun With Chickens

Apr 26, 2007
    Fair Oaks, California
    i agree with all the comments. The predators won't stop until you run out of birds. Try locking them up before it gets too dark and they fly up in the trees. Most birds are creatures of habit. Once they get used to being in the coop at night they will automatically go there at dusk. Not sure about the guineas. i've never had those.

7. txchickie

txchickie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2008
    Texas
    The chickens you can change their habits by locking them in the coop for a week or so.......the guineas, I think you're out of luck [​IMG]

This is my fear, an owl. All of our bantams and guineas sleep in the thick cedar tree by our barn. Luckily I've never seen an owl around here.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by