OWLS now what???

Crazy4Chicks

Songster
12 Years
Nov 20, 2007
Glendale, AZ
This morning I was out in the run around 6ish - it was still "grey " out sun was not fully up yet but I thought since I was up I would let the kids out early. I was putting the ducks back in their yard to keep them away from the chickens - when I heard the "hoot hoot " I have never seen owls around my house before- we have been here since Aug.
What do I do - my chickens are locked up at night but my ducks stay out roaming the chicken yard all night ( they have a little house but never use it unless bad weather ) should I be worried for them? one of the owls was standard owl size the other was smaller so dont know if it was just young or this is a male/female duo I also could not see the color since it was not very light out yet.
There have been mornings we have let the chickens out before the sun has come out due to the paper-route and when we have gotten home they were fine.

Do owls have a " home range "? I mean if they were around my house do they have a nest tree somewhere near or were they just visiting?
I can not cover my run with netting since it is rather large and there is a HUGE tree in it and the fence around them is only about 4 foot high so protecting them from owls might be hard - the ones I worry about our my little banty hen and roo the rest of the girls are standard sized cochins and LB and EE.

Now I am starting to worry
Julie

If you could figure out what kind of owl you saw, that would be helpful. A great horned owl is more than capable of hauling away a duck or chicken. Smaller owls don't prey on animals that large. And yes, they will have territories and apparently you are in it.
smile.png
If I were you, I would be sure to lock my ducks up at night to be safe.

If given the chance, a large owl will take a duck or 2. And once they know where easy food is, they will be back. Some species have pretty big home ranges, so that may be why you havent seen one nefore.
You might want to start shutting your ducks up at night just to be safe.

Hi Julie! Wonder if there is some screcrow type thing that would scare them off? Or the reflective metal pans like pie plates or the dvds like Buff (I think it's Buff) uses, instead of the netting? Hope something easy like that will work, sure would hate for those cute little chair driving chickens to be owl chow...or the ducks. Darlene

well my chair driving duo are mad at me right now - I took out thier " get away car " to repaint it - so Bonnie & Clyde are with out thier " wheels".
I am going to TS this weekend and see if there is something I can put in the yard that will help keep the owls away at night. I wonder if a senor type light would scare them when it came on?
when I can I will take a pic of the run and tree and see if anyone has an ideas.

thanks

Julie

Back
Top Bottom