Owls

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Farmerboy16, Jun 25, 2011.

1. Farmerboy16

Farmerboy16 Rebuilding my Farm

Dec 30, 2010
    Sparta, MI
    I am thinking about building a few barn owl nesting boxes this winter, when I am not doing much when is cold. I have mice and rat issues, and would like to attract barn owls to control the rodent population, also those nasty house sparrows. But before I get started on the project, I want to know, will the barn owls bother any of my poultry? I free range all of my poultry. I know that some owls can kill chickens, but Barn Owls are a medium size type not as big great horn owl which are known for killing chickens, ducks, and guineas. Thanks for any input. [​IMG]

2. Enslaved-by-Ducks

Enslaved-by-Ducks Out Of The Brooder

Apr 22, 2011
    I wouldn't trust any Owl with my birds. If you have ever seen a Owl up close, you would be amazed how powerful they are....If he's hungry, he might try a little chicken meat. I have owls in my yard in the evening and they just sit in a tree and watch the chickens....then they hover over the coop after i put them in for the night. They want something and I don't trust them...not for a minute...Good luck.

3. Farmerboy16

Farmerboy16 Rebuilding my Farm

Dec 30, 2010
    Sparta, MI
    I lock up all the coops at night, so I am not worry about them getting the chickens, although do they hunt in the daytime?

4. WKYChick

WKYChick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 10, 2011
    Owls are not normally seen out and about during the day hunting, you will see them hunt early morning and late evening hours. I love owls and love to watch them hunt, just make sure your chickens are locked up tight at night and have full coverage in the a.m.

5. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    Quote:I would not consider barn owls to be a threat to your chickens. Typical prey is size of baby chick or smaller like with voles and mice. The owls hunting range may not be best for your pest management efforts around barn and outbuildings either. Hunting efforts concentrated beyong radius of a couple hundred feet. Pest management best by denying access to feed stores and nesting sites.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2011
  6. mjuenem

mjuenem Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2010
    Putnam Co.
    Plus barn owls are so darned cute! Caught a young one once as a child - inside all those feathers was a body smaller than my wrist.

7. Enslaved-by-Ducks

Enslaved-by-Ducks Out Of The Brooder

Apr 22, 2011
    Well said. Ray
    Quote:

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by