1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Owls

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Buckhunter76, May 14, 2012.

1. Buckhunter76

Buckhunter76 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2012
    Brown County Ohio
    Was just wondering, I have a lot of Owls around, and there's times that I don't get home in time to lock my chickens up. Would a red light help keep them away???

2. chfite

chfite Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2011
    Taylors, SC
    I don't know about a red light repelling owls, but some sort of netting or strings over the run would give them pause about flying into somewhere they cannot escape.

Chris

3. Buckhunter76

Apr 27, 2012
    Brown County Ohio
    Thanks ,[​IMG] 20 views and one reply??? lol

4. bj taylor

bj taylor Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 28, 2011
    North Central Texas
    by the time the owls come out the chickens are in their coop sleeping aren't they?

5. furbabymum

furbabymum Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2012
    Burns, Wyoming
    I have a great idea for you. Set a live trap. Catch the owls and ship them to me please!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Such a huge rabbit problem that I'd pay good money for some owls!

6. Buckhunter76

Apr 27, 2012
    Brown County Ohio
    I wish, they're in the coop, but not asleep :(

7. Buckhunter76

Apr 27, 2012
    Brown County Ohio
    Is that legal? If so sounds like a plan to me, if not we'll keep it on the DL, lol[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  8. Buckhunter76

Apr 27, 2012
    Brown County Ohio
    There's plenty around these parts, when I Turkey hunt, thats what I use mostly for my locator call. Whoo cooks for you, lol

9. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    That brings back memories! Who, who. Who cooks for you?

Owls don't usually bother grown chickens but might go after them if other food is not available. Definitely cover your run with wire to prevent any type of predators from flying or climbing in. I have plenty of hawks and owls around my place but it's the ground varmits that cause the most problems for me. They'll dig, chew, claw their way in if at all possible.

10. wsmoak

wsmoak Chillin' With My Peeps

Have you ever had a problem with an owl getting one of your chickens? We have Barred Owls here (who cooks for you?) and the chickens go to bed before the owls come out.

The spring they had babies here (adorable!) we did see them out in the early evening and late morning, but they were after toads and mice, not chickens.

What kind of owls do you have? I suppose a great horned owl would be big enough, but in general I'd think a full grown chicken would be too big for the average owl to bother with.

-Wendy

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by