owners of SPECKLED EGG LAYERS!!!

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by ms.cluckling, Jan 7, 2011.

1. ms.cluckling

ms.cluckling Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 20, 2010
    Los Angeles, CA
    I have a speckled medium/light brown egg. It is averaged sized. It is in the incubator, and will hatch in about 2 days. [​IMG]
    If you are the proud owner of a "speckled brown egg layer," please tell me what breed of chicken you have.
    Pictures are much appreciated (of the egg, the chicken, or both!)
    Thanks in advance,
    Ms.Cluckling

2. ms.cluckling

Dec 20, 2010
    Los Angeles, CA
    I'm currently thinking it may be a Plymouth Barred Rock egg, or a Welsummer egg. [​IMG]

3. ms.cluckling

Dec 20, 2010
    Los Angeles, CA
    anyone?

4. tinychicky

tinychicky Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2010
    Hollis, New Hampshire
    i'm not sure... try looking at the chickens on mypetchicken.com. they have lots of info on egg colors, temperments, ect.

5. chicks4kids

chicks4kids Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2009
    Northern Indiana
    One of my barred rocks lays a speckled egg but the other barreds lay solid brown...I think it's just a glitch (a nice one) in her system.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2011
  6. superchemicalgirl

superchemicalgirl HEN PECKED

Jan 10, 2010
    Vacationland, Maine
    Most of the "speckled" chicken eggs are a glitch in their color sprayer (it's easier for me to think of it like an assembly line). Mine's from a hatchery cuckoo marans to the best of my knowledge. Sometimes she lays an egg with color streaked from one end to getting lighter at the other, sometimes it's nice small spots and occasionally it's few but large spots.

Occasionally one of my easter eggers will lay her green egg with white or brown spots, too.

Since you asked for pictures, your wish is my command:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. happyhens44

happyhens44 BroodyAddict

Apr 25, 2010
    Northern WI
    Im proud to have a speckled egg layer, I dont have any pics of eggs because I ate the ones I have got, and I did not get one today, But maybe tommrrow Ill have one?

8. ms.cluckling

Dec 20, 2010
    Los Angeles, CA
    Quote:what breed is she?

9. ms.cluckling

Dec 20, 2010
    Los Angeles, CA
    Quote:the second picture you posted looks about right, but mine has far less dots. I would post pictures, but...oh where did I put that camera...??

10. happyhens44

happyhens44 BroodyAddict

Apr 25, 2010
    Northern WI
    [​IMG] The sad part is I dont know whos laying it so I cant really tell you ?

I am at school when this egg is getting layed. I have a guess but really the egg just there when I get home.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by