1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Owning both Cockatiels and Chickens?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by chorui, Nov 21, 2014.

1. chorui

chorui New Egg

Nov 21, 2014
    Hello, I have a few chickens and I was thinking about getting two Cockatiels to keep indoors. I discussed it with a friend who said introducing a separate species to a home, even if the birds never directly came in contact, was dangerous and the risk of spreading diseases was very high. Is there any way at all to treat this? Such as quarantining the new birds or vaccinations? If I quarantine the birds, make sure they're free of diseases and always clean up before handling one bird after another, will I be able to own both breeds without putting my birds at risk? I really would like to have Cockatiels but if their presence is going to endanger my existing birds no matter what I do, I will not get them. I know this isn't completely a chicken related question, but if anyone has any insight on how I can bring in new birds safely without spreading diseases, I would really like to know. If owning both Cockatiels and chickens is too risky a situation, then I'll leave well enough alone. Thank you in advance.

2. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Overrun With Chickens

Quite a few of us on this forum have various species of birds other then chickens, including cockatiels and other parrots inside the house. I've had cockatiels, parakeets and chickens for years and never had a problem.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by