Owning Chickens in Missouri

Discussion in 'Local Chicken Laws & Ordinances (and how to change' started by nolabel, Aug 3, 2011.

1. nolabel

nolabel New Egg

Aug 3, 2011
    Hello all!

I am very desperate for some help. I'm trying to find out what cities it is "allowed/acceptable/legal" to own chickens in the state of Missouri??? More specifically Silkie Bantams.

I've tried Googling for an answer to my question for a long time now and still no luck. I'd just simply call the City Halls to the cities I'm interested in but that would take forever and most of the time you can't get ahold of anyone with an answer.

So I'd be very grateful if someone here could list any cities they know FOR SURE that are okay with residents owning Silkie Bantams or (chickens in general).

THANKS

1 person likes this.
  2. ruthless

ruthless Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2010
    Mount Vernon, Mo
    Perhaps you might ask about some specific towns in Mo? Most people would not have a whole list.

I do know that Springfield Mo passed last year that you can have 3 or 5 ( can't remember) hens in town.

3. ruthless

ruthless Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2010
    Mount Vernon, Mo
    Also if you are calling, probably the Animal Control people would be the ones who would really know the answer to whether chickens are legal or not. Cause they are the ones who have to deal with any animal problems.

4. smoothmule

smoothmule Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2008
    Buffalo, Missouri
    Nolabel,
    There isn't any difference in the breed of chicken. It makes no difference legally whether they're Jersey Giants or tiny Serama if they allow them. You can contact the City Hall for Ordinances pertaining to any subject you're interested in but if they do not have an ordinance banning them or banning livestock in the city limits, then that's the same as saying it's okay. You're not going to find an ordinance that specifically states that chickens are allowed in the city unless there has been an amendment to an ordinance that restricted livestock in town.

Many small towns have no ordinances one way or the other so it would more than likely not be an issue that would be addressed unless you have neighbors that complain. Generally, most people don't complain about hens that are contained. Keeping free range hens can be a problem if they go to the neighbors and scratch out their mulch or eat their garden or dig out dirt around the house etc so it's foolish to try and keep chickens free range when you have close neighbors. Keep only hens, keep them clean, well cared for and contained and you shouldn't have a problem..............Unless they are in a pen/cage that is close enough to the neighbors house that the hens cackling wakes them early in the morning. Being a good neighbor will go a long way in preventing problems. In town, if someone has chickens running loose all over the area, or they're dirty or penned up in a nasty looking pen and looking thin like they're not fed well or anything that can be called unsanitary or if they make noise that disturbs anyone then there are likely to be complaints.

Some ordinances in towns have come about because there were complaints so they may not be open to change. If you have neighbors close by, I would not go ask neighbors if they minded if you had chickens. No one asks their neighbors if they care if they went out to get a dog or cat. It's no ones business what you have unless they become a nuisance or you are violating an ordinance. That is like saying to the neighbor, I want you to tell me what I can have on my property and what I cannot and in my opinion, that is not right. If there is no ordinance, and no one complains, then you're fine with your Silkie hens (roosters can be a whole different issue no matter what the breed).

The larger towns and cities have likely addressed this in the past couple of years since there was a surge of interest in keeping a few egg layers in back yards lately. What town are you needing to find out about?

Cathy

5. Missouri 17

Missouri 17 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 24, 2011
    In Springfield MO you can have 6 hens. They can't be free range. We have 6 and no one has complained.

6. lilcritters

lilcritters Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 8, 2011
    White Church Missouri
    I live in the sticks with no close neighbors and have over 50 birds.... I can have what ever I want.... No laws at all where I live.... Also have 22 horses, a calf, 15 goats,1 lamb,1 pig, 3 cats and 4 dogs....

April

7. Fireflyjunction

Fireflyjunction Out Of The Brooder

Mar 6, 2011
    KC area
    Same question here. Does anybody know about Clinton, MO chicken rules? We've got 5 sweet girls in a huge chicken tractor and I'm really hoping they can come with me when we move. Right now I'm more focusing on finding a job. [​IMG]

8. luv2fish62

luv2fish62 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 11, 2012
    Fulton, MO
    Hi,

I live in Fulton, MO and I am allowed 10 chickens which I have and I live right in town. I also have a rooster that one of my neighbors don't appreciate, but I am still allowed to have them. I went to the city office and ask them if I was allowed to have chickens and how many I could have. Mine are in at night in the hen house in our back yard and we have a fenced-in area for them during the day so no cats or dogs or other animals can get to them.

Hope this answers your question.

Faith Taggart

Last edited: Sep 12, 2012

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by