Owww! Little Dinosaur Pecked My Eye!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by SB Austex, Jul 29, 2010.

1. SB Austex

SB Austex Out Of The Brooder

May 9, 2010
    Austin
    I had read that they might do this, seeing the shiny part, but YIKES, it's kinda scary. I was bent over messing with another chicken, when one of the Dominiques pecked my eye. She caught the lower lid at the outer corner and feels like she scratched the sclera (white part), too. I'm afraid of infection so I'm going to get it looked at this afternoon.

2. mgw

mgw Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2010
    Eastern Wa.
    OWWWWW! hope everything turns out o.k let us know what doc says

3. Hollywood Chickens

Hollywood Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2009
    Florida
    I hate when they do that!! one of them pecked my 6 year old sisters eyelid, but she didn't learn and got her cheek pecked the next day!!

BTW, she was fine, but it is always good to have it checked!

4. ducks4you

ducks4you Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 20, 2009
    East Central Illinois
    They're just little raptors, after all.

5. MrChicken207

MrChicken207 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2010
    Caribou, Maine
    I had a bantam rooster get the top of my head once. hurt like "H". The bleeding freaked out my then GF, now wife. She made me go to the hospital. ended up with a tetanus shot, because I hadn't had one in forever (haven't had another one since, am due for one in another couple of years). Next time I went in there, I wore a hat.

You definitely should get it checked out. Don't want any infection in your eye.

6. 33yardbirds

33yardbirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2010
    Southern New Jersey
    And that is why I keep them at arms length.

7. Jenski

Jenski Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2008
    Middle Tennessee
    Someone else on the forum had a chicken PULL THE CONTACT LENS OUT OF HIS EYE. Gotta watch those little shiny-seeking buggers.

*shiver*

8. RM44

RM44 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2009
    Woodstock, Georgia
    Of the 4 types I have, only my Doms try to peck me in the eye, but they try it all the time. Every time I bend over they come over talking to me and cocking their heads, looking at my eyeballs. They make me quite nervous. I swear they are licking their chicken-lips when they do it.

9. Missouri Maiden

Missouri Maiden Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2009
    Southwest Missouri
    OWW! I hope everything turns out ok. I wear glasses so it's never happened to me, though they do try and peck my teeth alot. [​IMG]

10. crawfordmama

crawfordmama Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2010
    The Lakes Region, NH
    Quote:So funny you should say that - I've always thought so too!

Sorry about your eye, and good thing you're getting it checked. Curious little buggers!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by