Oxford county, Maine

collie1470

Songster
Jun 5, 2015
Wilton, ME
My fiance and I are moving to Maine in September (YAY), in the Dixfield area. I've been Googling like crazy, and can't seem to find any ordinances regarding the keeping of any poultry for Oxford County. We're looking at purchasing rural property (which is why I was looking at the county, rather than a town/city). I'm going nuts. Does anyone know the laws/ordinances regarding keeping poultry in Oxford County? I just want to know if we'll even be allowed to raise poultry, and what types are/are not ok. I'd love chickens (including roos, so we can hatch and raise our own), geese, ducks, and turkeys...and we're looking to buy more than enough land for them. Thanks for nothing, Google lol.

hi, we are moving to Oxford County and want to know the same thing... any restrictions against keeping backyard chickens? Maybe you have found out more since this post, please let me know if so!!!

Call the town/city clerk and ask. If you don't get the answer you like ask where to find it in print. Oddly there is a lot of interpretation so you could get different answers depending on who you talk to. Get a print of ordinance to read yourself.

My fiance and I are moving to Maine in September (YAY), in the Dixfield area. I've been Googling like crazy, and can't seem to find any ordinances regarding the keeping of any poultry for Oxford County. We're looking at purchasing rural property (which is why I was looking at the county, rather than a town/city). I'm going nuts. Does anyone know the laws/ordinances regarding keeping poultry in Oxford County? I just want to know if we'll even be allowed to raise poultry, and what types are/are not ok. I'd love chickens (including roos, so we can hatch and raise our own), geese, ducks, and turkeys...and we're looking to buy more than enough land for them. Thanks for nothing, Google lol.

I live in Oxford county but live in a small township, I *think* the ordinances would be by town in the county and not by the overall county. The township I live in there are chickens everywhere. I think if you are going to live in a town where residents are closer that information should be available on that towns website. If you are not finding any ordinances than there probably are not any. I am guessing that you likely will be okay with no restrictions out in a rural area.. Just my experience from being in the area almost 3 years.

Last edited:
I live in Oxford county and everyone has chickens haha..

That is what I thought I see them everywhere!!
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom