Oxford, Maine Chickenstock- Tractor Supply Co 5/30/09 9am-3pm

Quote:
I'm just guessing...but it might be to keep down the amount of "impluse" buying.

You know...the children see a bunch of chicks and ask Daddy if they can have one?

Buying a number of chicks means more money spent and might remind the buyer that they need to prepare to feed and house the birds.

Dunno the law's intent though...

That is exactly what the law is for, to protect fluffy baby animals that need special care still from being used to entertain children.

ETA: quoted before I read the rest of the thread
hide.gif

I'm leaving Fuzz Bucket's eggs in her box so if she decides to she can set a batch.

Last edited:
Like I have said, Dr. Hoenig said the law was to stop impulse buying, especially at Easter time. There is a way around this and give the man a chance, me too.
I am really sorry at this point that I mentioned anything about it. I regret it.
At this point, with my frustration at this level, it is not worth anything to EVER have another one of these again. Regardless to how many people showed, that everyone else had a great time and the rest of the story.
I thought I'd be doing good for BYC to find out what the laws are, how to not break them and encourage Poultry knowledge along with other critters that we may be interested in.
I will continue my work only for myself, you folks can do what you choose. But atleast realize I was trying to keep our arse's out of a sling and from being shut down in the first 2 minutes and/or inspection for NPIP testing etc.
It may not be this next gathering, it may not be this year, but there are laws and regulations make sure you know what and where they are so YOU can be cautious and not be made an example.

i havent read threw this entire thread, but i think we are just talking, no one here is upset in any way. its good what you doing, dont worry, it will all work out, am i right in thinking we are just talking and throwing out ideas?

and we arent making fun of maine police by comparing them to the dukes of hazard, i just thought bobs comment was funny and went with it,

sorry if we have upset you, this is all just conversation and a bit of teasing is all
hugs.gif
produces
hugs.gif

Last edited:
Oh, Spook don't give up
fl.gif
We need people like you to care enough about both sides and to get as much information as possible out there so someone doesn't get nailed at one of these swaps. I think what you are doing is great and we just started with this. I haven't gone through all the threads but I think people are more confused than upset and certainly not at you
big_smile.png
Please stick with this you have our support for sure.....

Spook you did a wonderful job with the Oxford swap and trying to find out about the laws.

I wouldn't worry about it though, it takes a long time for Maine to do anything because of their budget constraints.

I am also into reptiles and the Maine Herpetological Society has been trying to change the permit laws here in Maine in order to expand the list of tropical & sub-tropical species.

It's been over 3 years and still nothing. Their main reason is money.

The state is not going to come down on private sales. If they did, it would cripple Agriculture in Maine and they'd be out of a job. They know it's a boost for Maine's economy. Their concern is more in poultry diseases and outbreaks.

Just about every poultry law right now has been repealed according to their web site.

You did good to try and find out and you are doing a great job to promote these events here in Maine.

You may have hit on something when it was pointed out about having a booth for poultry education. This could be a big benefit and allay any fears anyone would have.

In my generation of growing up, "Don't sweat the little things" &

Hang in there and God bless!

bob

spook,
you are doing a wonderful job, please don't get upset, we certainly didn't mean to upset you in any way. I'd just rather know the law and not be caught doing something that I see no problem with but someone else might have an ax to grind. I don't want any of us to get in trouble and since I've never shown poultry or participated in a swap, I just heard there was a rule change. TSC in skowhegan was very helpful as well.

Back
Top Bottom