Oxford New Guy

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by RonEstrada, Sep 16, 2012.

1. RonEstrada

RonEstrada Out Of The Brooder

Sep 15, 2012
    Hello from Oxford! First of all...flaming on a chicken forum? Is there no escape? Anyway, I have no chickens yet, but would like to start in the spring. My first obstacle is the Oxford ordnances. I've been told my 1.6 acres isn't big enough for 'em. I see no reason to let a little thing like rules get in the way, though. We'll get through that hurdle. My wife is the next one, but she'll come around. I'm thinking a small coup, about 4 hens. We're a family of 4 but one's off in college now (Culinary Instiute of America...I love telling people that). I will admit right now that I'm one of those "preppers." I'm trying to get my family more self-sufficient. We've lost too much of that in this country and I believe it's going to turn disastrous. That and I like chickens.

By the way, Oxford is in the very northern edge of Oakland County, about 15 miles south of Lapeer.

2. ChicKat

ChicKat Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

And here I thought that it was oxford England...LOL!

Good luck with the chickens...(especially the small number you have in mind)-- IMO a good idea to slowly work on getting the ordinances changed. Classify your birds as pets, exotics, etc. There are a lot of very attractive coops - and people who have set up 'stealth coops'.

You will be fine. Welcome to the BYC forum!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by