Oxine and Bumblefoot

smott

Songster
Apr 15, 2020
I have discovered that 9 (of my 50+) adult hens have bumblefoot. None appear severe, but I am in the process of treating them.
I am wondering if anyone has used Oxine for a soak or wound spray, and if so, what concentration did you use? Activated or not?
As a side note, I battled bumblefoot in several of these same hens about this time last year. I carpeted my roosts, made sure that the coop floor has bedding on it (so they aren't jumping on a hard surface), and tried to remove any sharp objects from their environment (although they do free range and I'm sure they still may encounter items that could injure them). It is occurring in hens that are housed in 2 different coops. They do have access to the same free range area, however they tend to flock in different vicinities for the most part. I'm wondering if the extreme heat is a factor and whether maybe staphylococcus may be colonized in my soil?? I am planning to clean/fog my coops with oxine this weekend.
I have never used oxine before, and I would welcome any information from people who have used it... concentrations, mixing or application tips, use of activated vs non-activated solutions!
Pic of my sweet Cher for attention!
3A32EC23-B81C-493C-90BA-E711252DFFC1.jpeg

It is likely the hens are getting a wound in their free range area.
Activated oxine will control bacteria (source of bumblefoot), virus and fungus. It may work for bumble but a good start is a warm Epsom salt soak.
I have only used oxine to disinfect incubators but it also works for coops, barns, stables and kennels.

I would love to know how the Oxine worked out if you used it! And of course what your course of action was and how everyone is doing :)

A week and a half ago I found a fairly severe case of bumblefoot on one of our 11 chooks. We have been treating it with an herbal formula directly on it and also by mouth. It's not getting better, and we definitely want to avoid surgery! In the meantime we have noticed most of the other chooks also have small bumbles on their feet!! :( We think it could be from the wood chips they have been scratching in, so we will be promptly removing that.

Looking forward to hearing from you!

Last edited:
I would love to know how the Oxine worked out if you used it! And of course what your course of action was and how everyone is doing :)

A week and a half ago I found a fairly severe case of bumblefoot on one of our 11 chooks. We have been treating it with an herbal formula directly on it and also by mouth. It's not getting better, and we definitely want to avoid surgery! In the meantime we have noticed most of the other chooks also have small bumbles on their feet!! :( We think it could be from the wood chips they have been scratching in, so we will be promptly removing that.

Looking forward to hearing from you!
I did clean my coops and spray/fog them with an activated oxine solution.
I also mixed a 50 ppm non-activated oxine solution in a small spray bottle, and I am using it as an irrigant/cleanser when I change my bumblefoot dressings (in addition to Vetericyn.) I am dressing the open wounds with manuka honey.
2 of the 9 are healed. 6 of the others are in the healing process. Only 1 is problematic, and she is the same girl I had trouble with last year. Her feet swell, but there seems to be no "pus" or infection to clean out... only stringy tissue which bleeds profusely. I am working aggressively with her... giving abx and doing daily soaks.

I'm so happy to hear your girls are healing so well!! Best of luck with the problematic one. Manuka honey is a great idea!!

My husband found this morning what we are sure has been the culprit--some sharp metal that they ALL have to walk over to get to a certain area. Not happy about it, but now we are pretty sure that is what caused it, and I'm glad more than likely it wasn't the wood chips because we chip our own--it works great and is free!! lol.

I am guessing for our one gal who is the worst, she will have to have the abscess opened and I'm kinda stressing about that. lol. I am hoping we don't have to address any open wounds otherwise, but I plan on soaking them and then dressing some of them as well. I was actually considering an activated sodium chloride soak instead of epsoms, too.

What is abx?

I'm so happy to hear your girls are healing so well!! Best of luck with the problematic one. Manuka honey is a great idea!!

My husband found this morning what we are sure has been the culprit--some sharp metal that they ALL have to walk over to get to a certain area. Not happy about it, but now we are pretty sure that is what caused it, and I'm glad more than likely it wasn't the wood chips because we chip our own--it works great and is free!! lol.

I am guessing for our one gal who is the worst, she will have to have the abscess opened and I'm kinda stressing about that. lol. I am hoping we don't have to address any open wounds otherwise, but I plan on soaking them and then dressing some of them as well. I was actually considering an activated sodium chloride soak instead of epsoms, too.

What is abx?
Antibiotics... (controversial topic). I am giving her enrofloxacin orally. I have also given her a couple of Tylan injections, although I realize it isn't the best choice for bumblefoot, it was the only injectable med I have on hand.

So many controversial topics! lol. No judgement here. I hope what you are giving her does the trick! I'm considering poultry-appropriate doses of chlorine dioxide orally. For our gal who's in bad shape, it could be hourly (up to 8 hours/day) for a few days to a week. The good thing about is that I don't have to worry about not eating the eggs, so that's the main reason why I'm considering it.

I was checking up on the Bumble foot treatment because my goose Daisy was limping and could hardly walk. My husband snagged her and we looked at her foot and really lucked out. She didn't have Bumble foot she had a grassburr. It was buried enough she wouldn't have been able to walk it out. Now we just have to keep an eye out to make sure it doesn't get infected because it bled a little when we pulled it out.

There is an ointment that you can get that draws the infection out. I'm not sure if it would work on a booboo that wasn't open yet. It is called Ichthammol Ointment and the box it came in says it is homeopathic. I ordered mine from Amazon. I have bought it at other places but it got hard to find so I checked Amazon and the price was very reasonable. It is a black ointment and if your goose leaves a dressing on it may work very well without having to do surgical intervention.

Here's the link to go if you are interested and still need to treat: https://smile.amazon.com/s?k=ichtha...ichthammol+ointment,aps,3871&ref=nb_sb_noss_1

That sounds like the bumblefoot therapy developed at University of KY to treat the problem in raptors. It is HEC, an ointment which blends hypericum, echinacea and calendula. I haven't found a source in the United States but you can make your own in a pinch by combining creams and tinctures of each.
It worked for me.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom