Oxine and chicks

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by infiniti, Nov 14, 2012.

1. infiniti

infiniti Out Of The Brooder

Apr 1, 2012
    Kentucky
    Does anyone know if Oxine is safe to use on chicks? How old do they need to be before it's alright to mist them?

2. infiniti

Apr 1, 2012
    Kentucky
    Anyone??

3. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    I dont see any reason why you couldnt mist your chicks, just follow proper mixing procedures and dont use the activator neither. Are you dealing with a health issue with your chicks? If not, I wouldnt use anything on them.
    Here's a link for you about oxine:
    http://www.shagbarkbantams.com/oxine.htm

Last edited: Nov 14, 2012
  4. infiniti

Apr 1, 2012
    Kentucky
    Unfortunately, I am dealing with something with my chicks. I will try to explain: The chicks I hatch from my own flock have a fairly high mortality rate. They seem to do well for the first week, butt hen they start to die off one by one at two weeks of age. I have the brooder set up like I should, with heat lamp, fresh food and water, and pine chips for bedding. I had an infection go through my flock this summer. I did not lose any to the infection, but I did have a time getting it under control. With the chicks, I thought it might be something respiratory or Coccidia. This only happens with the chicks I hatch from my own flock. I have hatched several groups from bought eggs...and they all survive. (Knock on wood when I say that so I don't jinx myself now). I always wash my hands before handling any of them. They never touch the ground until they are able to hold in heat for themselves, so I would assume it isn't something I am carrying in on them from the outside flock. There appear to be no real symptoms, though. They look healthy one day, and they die the next day. I was just trying to be cautious and was going to spray the chicks (like I do my outside bunch) to hopefully prevent any from dying.
    Thank you for your reply!! I have two new sets of chicks, and "ebay" set who have all survived so far and a batch from my chickens that hatched last night. Hopefully all will be well with both this time.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by