Oxine and Marek's

crtrlovr

Still chillin' with my peeps
Mar 13, 2008
East South Central (West KY)
Does anyone know if Oxine in a heavy concentration will kill Marek's in the soil? I got a definitive diagnosis on the 3 OEGB bantams I took in for euthanasia and necropsies. Their loss was due to a more than one strain of coccidiosis and Marek's virus.
hit.gif
My heart is broken, and my dreams of hatching and raising beautiful babies is shattered. I can't stand the thought of watching another poor young one go through what the ones I lost in the spring and now these 3 have endured until they were euthanized. I lost (besides these last 3) 3 OEGB bantam pullets and a 1 Yr. old Splash silkie rooster. I want to try to keep the ones I still have as healthy as possible, and will just have to let them live out their lives here as I don't want to send any carriers to someone else and infect their flocks. Has anyone else dealt with this, and how? I need answers (and a hug or two...)

Well you'll definitely get a hug or three /hug hug hug!

I'm so sorry to hear about your losses. You might want to check out this article on mareks vaccination and doing it in older birds who show symptoms; it also holds a bit of an answer to your question:

http://tinyurl.com/kvdkg9

In the mean time, I would treat all of your birds with Corid as it gets all 9 species of the cocci without being antibiotic in nature.

Remember, mareks is more than in the soil and the birds. It's in the dander, etc. But vaccinating correctly - as in the article - and using boosters, quarantining very carefully for the first few months of life, can go a LONG way in preventing the big problems with marek's - the paralysis, neoplasias, and ocular changes. There's hope.

Other good articles:
http://www.shagbarkbantams.com/page9.htm
http://www.thepoultrysite.com/articles/377/small-flock-vaccination

Last edited:
I'm sorry for your losses.
hugs.gif

I'm concerned about their living arrangements at the present. Your siggy says inside birds. Are all these chickens being kept inside? As in your house? A coop? Or do you have inside birds PLUS poultry?

I do know Corid will help with the cocci problem. I'm not educated enough about Mareks or Oxine to help with those questions though.

Was there any recommendations from the people that did the necropsy?

Quote:
I have poultry OUTSIDE in a large run (100X50) with a 9X14 house and a separate 10X10 "hang out" they take advantage of during the daytime because it's shaded and because the pear tree leaves them nice fruit for presents! (My inside birds are cockatiels, a conure, a lovebird, an African Gray, society finches, and diamond doves.) I used the Sulmet for several days. I couldn't find Corid at the time they gave me the diagnosis; I have since found & purchased some to keep on hand. Should I go ahead and dose them with the Corid too? As far as recommendations, the vet who called w/ the report recommended a completely closed flock (none in, none out, no hatching), let these live out their lives & die off, then drench everything in bleach, let the land & henhouse be dormant for several months, then start over with ONLY vaccinated birds from a hatchery.
sad.png
When I asked him about how to treat any who did present symptoms, his suggestion was if they appeared to have ANY neurological symptoms, cull them immediately.

Is there anywhere else on your property where you build a new coop (in a new location)...
I don't know about oxine but here is the label (so verifiable against that listed) from Virkon-S which I use:
http://www.biosecuritycenter.org/content/labelClaim/virkonS.pdf
EFFECTIVE AGAINST THE FOLLOWING PATHOGENS:
ANIMAL AND ZOONOTIC PATHOGENS
BACTERIA
Actinobacillus pleuropneumonia
Bordetella avium
Bordetella bronchiseptica
Campylobacter pyloridis
Clostridium perfringens
Dermatophilus congolensis
Escherichia coli
Fistulous withers (Poll Evil)
Haemophilus somnus
Klebsiella pneumoniae
Moraxella bovis (Pink Eye)
Mycobacterium bovis
Mycoplasma gallisepticum
Mycoplasma mycoides
Pasteurella multocida
Pseudomonas aeruginosa
Pseudomonas mallei (Glanders)
Pseudomonas vulgaris
Salmonella choleraesuis
Salmonella typhimurium
Staphylococcus aureus
Staphylococcus epidermidis
Streptococcus equi (Strangles)
Streptococcus pyogenes
Streptococcus suis
Taylorella equigenitalis
Treponema hyodysenteriae
VIRUSES
Adenovirus Pneumonia
African Horse Sickness Virus
African Swine Fever Virus
Avian Influenza Virus
Avian Laryngotracheitis Virus
Bovine Adenovirus Type 4
Bovine Polyoma Virus
Bovine Pseudocowpox Virus
Bovine Viral Diarrhea Virus
Calf Rotavirus
Canine Adenovirus
Canine Coronavirus
Canine Parainfluenza Virus
Canine Parvovirus
Chicken Anemia Virus
Coital Exantherma Virus
Distemper Virus
Duck Adenovirus
Duck Enteritis Virus
Egg Drop Syndrome Adenovirus
Equine Infectious Anemia Virus (Swamp
Fever)
Equine Arteritis Virus
Equine Herpes Virus (Type 1)
Herpes Virus Equine (Type 3)
Hog Cholera Virus
Equine Contagious Abortion Virus
Equine Papillomatosis Virus
Equine Influenza Virus (Type A)
Equine Influenza Virus (The Cough)
Feline Calicivirus
Feline Herpes Virus
Feline Infectious Peritonitis Virus
Feline Panleukopenia Virus
Feline Parvovirus
Feline Rhinotracheitis Virus
Foot and Mouth Disease Virus
Infectious Bronchitis Virus
Infectious Bursal Disease Virus
Page 4
J:\\clients\\antec\\Virkon S\\Proposed Labels\
evised label 12 Mar 2003 incorporating EPA comments dated 6 Mar v2.wpd
Infectious Canine Hepatitis Virus
Infectious Pancreatic Necrosis Virus
Infectious Salmon Anaemia Virus
Infective Bovine Rhinotracheitis Virus
Leptospira Canicola Virus
Maedi- Visna Virus
Marek’s Disease VirusNewcastle Disease Virus
PCV2 Virus (PMWS)
Porcine Parvovirus
Porcine Reproductive and Respiratory
Syndrome Virus (PRRS)
Pseudorabies Virus (Aujesky’s Disease)
Rotaviral Diarrhea Virus
Snakehead rhabdovirus
SV40 Virus
Swine Influenza Virus
Transmissible Gastroenteritis Virus (TGE)
Turkey Herpes Virus
Turkey Rhinotracheitis Virus
Vesicular Stomatitis Virus
FUNGI
Aspergillus fumigatus
Candida albicans
Fusarium moniliforme
Microsporum canis
Trichophyton spp. (Ringworm)
Trichophyton spp. (Mud Fever)
PLANT PATHOGENS
Alternaria solani
Botrytis cinera
Colletotrichum coccodes
Didymella bryoniae
Fusarium oxysporum
Fusarium solani
Penicillium oxalicum
Phomopsis sclerotioides
Pyrenochaeta lycoopersici
Pythium aphanidermatium
Rhizoctonia solani
Sclerotinia sclerotiorum
Thielaviopsis basicola
Verticillium dahliae
EFFECTIVE AGAINST THE FOLLOWING HUMAN HEALTH PATHOGENS
Human Immuno-Deficiency Virus (HIV) Type 1 (on hard, non-porous surfaces), Streptococcus
pyogenes, Campylobacter pyloridis, klebsiella pneumoniae, Escherichia coli, Salmonella typhimurium,
Salmonella choleraesuis, Pseudomonas aeruginosa, Staphylococcus aureus, Staphylococcus
epidermidis, and Candida albicans.

Refer to the above link for specific instructions for poultry and dilution.

I have written OXINE about the efficacy of their product (label/usage directions for the NONactivated product) when NONactivated but have received no reply (most all the info was for the activated product which is a very different product and may not be used without special equipment etc. ) so I cannot give you reliable info on that... am unable to find any info (Master)label/instructions such as the above for Virkon-S (for the NON-activated product) >(Virkon-S now does its instructions all on-site but it is harder to navigate than this simple master label)
Please note in the instructions that you cant just "spray it in the coop" and expect it to be sanitized as you must first clean then use the product (any product > or at least those which you do not have to use a respirator for).

Last edited:
Bleach won't kill anything as it's inactivated when it hits dirt. YOu'll want to use one of the other disinfectants.

Here's an article that tells you which disinfectant types work for which situations (in other words, which don't work on dirt, but only on surfaces)

http://msucares.com/poultry/diseases/disinfectants.html

Another article specifically on Hygiene against Marek's.
http://www.wattpoultry.com/PoultryInternational/Article.aspx?id=24900

Note that you can't just really build in another place as the Marek's is carried in the dander unfortunately. Dander is already blown onto your whole property. You just have to spray wherever you can with something that is effective in the type of situation (dirt, surfaces, etc), where you build your new coops, etc. And you have to vaccinate. It's quite simple, just sounds trickier than it is. Of course, as I said before, please read the other article on giving the boosters and keeping the birds free from challenges in the first part of their lives to allow the Marek's vaccine to take effect.

here's Oxine's efficacy sheet:
http://www.bio-cide.com/uploads/Efficacy Oxine.pdf

I'd look for disinfectants that are active against the avian herpesvirus. Marek's is allid herpesvirus 2 (GaHV-2) . And obviously I'd use dlh's recommendation as it specifically lists the Marek's virus.

Last edited:
Very sorry to hear about your birdies.

The problem with trying to fight Marek's is that it's literally EVERYWHERE. It's at the feed store, it's at the county fair, it's probably at Wally World, it's anywhere anyone has ever been who has chickens.

There are two basic things you can do about Marek's:

1) Breed for resistance and live with the losses (which is very hard to do, I know) or
2) Vaccinate against it.

Vaccinating isn't cheap, but it's not hard to learn to do, and worth it as far as I am concerned. You can get the vaccine from places like First State Vet, and the syringes too. You have to keep it in the fridge, and the first time it seems like you'll never get the hang of it, but it gets much easier as you go on.

Again, very sorry to hear of your losses, hope things get better for you soon.

Back
Top Bottom