Oxine and Marek's

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by crtrlovr, Aug 3, 2009.

1. crtrlovr

crtrlovr Still chillin' with my peeps

Does anyone know if Oxine in a heavy concentration will kill Marek's in the soil? I got a definitive diagnosis on the 3 OEGB bantams I took in for euthanasia and necropsies. Their loss was due to a more than one strain of coccidiosis and Marek's virus. [​IMG] My heart is broken, and my dreams of hatching and raising beautiful babies is shattered. I can't stand the thought of watching another poor young one go through what the ones I lost in the spring and now these 3 have endured until they were euthanized. I lost (besides these last 3) 3 OEGB bantam pullets and a 1 Yr. old Splash silkie rooster. I want to try to keep the ones I still have as healthy as possible, and will just have to let them live out their lives here as I don't want to send any carriers to someone else and infect their flocks. Has anyone else dealt with this, and how? I need answers (and a hug or two...)

2. threehorses

threehorses Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2009
    Houston
    Well you'll definitely get a hug or three /hug hug hug!

I'm so sorry to hear about your losses. You might want to check out this article on mareks vaccination and doing it in older birds who show symptoms; it also holds a bit of an answer to your question:

http://tinyurl.com/kvdkg9

In the mean time, I would treat all of your birds with Corid as it gets all 9 species of the cocci without being antibiotic in nature.

Remember, mareks is more than in the soil and the birds. It's in the dander, etc. But vaccinating correctly - as in the article - and using boosters, quarantining very carefully for the first few months of life, can go a LONG way in preventing the big problems with marek's - the paralysis, neoplasias, and ocular changes. There's hope.

Other good articles:
    http://www.shagbarkbantams.com/page9.htm
    http://www.thepoultrysite.com/articles/377/small-flock-vaccination

Last edited: Aug 3, 2009
  3. farmergal

farmergal Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 21, 2008
    Nor Cal
    Don't have answers... do have a hug!!! [​IMG]

Sorry about your little ones....

4. NotTheMomma

NotTheMomma Chillin' With My Peeps

I'm sorry for your losses. [​IMG]

I'm concerned about their living arrangements at the present. Your siggy says inside birds. Are all these chickens being kept inside? As in your house? A coop? Or do you have inside birds PLUS poultry?

I do know Corid will help with the cocci problem. I'm not educated enough about Mareks or Oxine to help with those questions though.

Was there any recommendations from the people that did the necropsy?

5. crtrlovr

crtrlovr Still chillin' with my peeps

Quote:I have poultry OUTSIDE in a large run (100X50) with a 9X14 house and a separate 10X10 "hang out" they take advantage of during the daytime because it's shaded and because the pear tree leaves them nice fruit for presents! (My inside birds are cockatiels, a conure, a lovebird, an African Gray, society finches, and diamond doves.) I used the Sulmet for several days. I couldn't find Corid at the time they gave me the diagnosis; I have since found & purchased some to keep on hand. Should I go ahead and dose them with the Corid too? As far as recommendations, the vet who called w/ the report recommended a completely closed flock (none in, none out, no hatching), let these live out their lives & die off, then drench everything in bleach, let the land & henhouse be dormant for several months, then start over with ONLY vaccinated birds from a hatchery. [​IMG] When I asked him about how to treat any who did present symptoms, his suggestion was if they appeared to have ANY neurological symptoms, cull them immediately.

6. dlhunicorn

dlhunicorn Human Encyclopedia

Jan 11, 2007
    Is there anywhere else on your property where you build a new coop (in a new location)...
    I don't know about oxine but here is the label (so verifiable against that listed) from Virkon-S which I use:
    http://www.biosecuritycenter.org/content/labelClaim/virkonS.pdf
    EFFECTIVE AGAINST THE FOLLOWING PATHOGENS:
    ANIMAL AND ZOONOTIC PATHOGENS
    BACTERIA
    Actinobacillus pleuropneumonia
    Bordetella avium
    Bordetella bronchiseptica
    Campylobacter pyloridis
    Clostridium perfringens
    Dermatophilus congolensis
    Escherichia coli
    Fistulous withers (Poll Evil)
    Haemophilus somnus
    Klebsiella pneumoniae
    Moraxella bovis (Pink Eye)
    Mycobacterium bovis
    Mycoplasma gallisepticum
    Mycoplasma mycoides
    Pasteurella multocida
    Pseudomonas aeruginosa
    Pseudomonas mallei (Glanders)
    Pseudomonas vulgaris
    Salmonella choleraesuis
    Salmonella typhimurium
    Staphylococcus aureus
    Staphylococcus epidermidis
    Streptococcus equi (Strangles)
    Streptococcus pyogenes
    Streptococcus suis
    Taylorella equigenitalis
    Treponema hyodysenteriae
    VIRUSES
    Adenovirus Pneumonia
    African Horse Sickness Virus
    African Swine Fever Virus
    Avian Influenza Virus
    Avian Laryngotracheitis Virus
    Bovine Adenovirus Type 4
    Bovine Polyoma Virus
    Bovine Pseudocowpox Virus
    Bovine Viral Diarrhea Virus
    Calf Rotavirus
    Canine Adenovirus
    Canine Coronavirus
    Canine Parainfluenza Virus
    Canine Parvovirus
    Chicken Anemia Virus
    Coital Exantherma Virus
    Distemper Virus
    Duck Adenovirus
    Duck Enteritis Virus
    Egg Drop Syndrome Adenovirus
    Equine Infectious Anemia Virus (Swamp
    Fever)
    Equine Arteritis Virus
    Equine Herpes Virus (Type 1)
    Herpes Virus Equine (Type 3)
    Hog Cholera Virus
    Equine Contagious Abortion Virus
    Equine Papillomatosis Virus
    Equine Influenza Virus (Type A)
    Equine Influenza Virus (The Cough)
    Feline Calicivirus
    Feline Herpes Virus
    Feline Infectious Peritonitis Virus
    Feline Panleukopenia Virus
    Feline Parvovirus
    Feline Rhinotracheitis Virus
    Foot and Mouth Disease Virus
    Infectious Bronchitis Virus
    Infectious Bursal Disease Virus
    Page 4
    J:\\clients\\antec\\Virkon S\\Proposed Labels\
    evised label 12 Mar 2003 incorporating EPA comments dated 6 Mar v2.wpd
    Infectious Canine Hepatitis Virus
    Infectious Pancreatic Necrosis Virus
    Infectious Salmon Anaemia Virus
    Infective Bovine Rhinotracheitis Virus
    Leptospira Canicola Virus
    Maedi- Visna Virus
    Marek’s Disease VirusNewcastle Disease Virus
    PCV2 Virus (PMWS)
    Porcine Parvovirus
    Porcine Reproductive and Respiratory
    Syndrome Virus (PRRS)
    Pseudorabies Virus (Aujesky’s Disease)
    Rotaviral Diarrhea Virus
    Snakehead rhabdovirus
    SV40 Virus
    Swine Influenza Virus
    Transmissible Gastroenteritis Virus (TGE)
    Turkey Herpes Virus
    Turkey Rhinotracheitis Virus
    Vesicular Stomatitis Virus
    FUNGI
    Aspergillus fumigatus
    Candida albicans
    Fusarium moniliforme
    Microsporum canis
    Trichophyton spp. (Ringworm)
    Trichophyton spp. (Mud Fever)
    PLANT PATHOGENS
    Alternaria solani
    Botrytis cinera
    Colletotrichum coccodes
    Didymella bryoniae
    Fusarium oxysporum
    Fusarium solani
    Penicillium oxalicum
    Phomopsis sclerotioides
    Pyrenochaeta lycoopersici
    Pythium aphanidermatium
    Rhizoctonia solani
    Sclerotinia sclerotiorum
    Thielaviopsis basicola
    Verticillium dahliae
    EFFECTIVE AGAINST THE FOLLOWING HUMAN HEALTH PATHOGENS
    Human Immuno-Deficiency Virus (HIV) Type 1 (on hard, non-porous surfaces), Streptococcus
    pyogenes, Campylobacter pyloridis, klebsiella pneumoniae, Escherichia coli, Salmonella typhimurium,
    Salmonella choleraesuis, Pseudomonas aeruginosa, Staphylococcus aureus, Staphylococcus
    epidermidis, and Candida albicans.

Refer to the above link for specific instructions for poultry and dilution.

I have written OXINE about the efficacy of their product (label/usage directions for the NONactivated product) when NONactivated but have received no reply (most all the info was for the activated product which is a very different product and may not be used without special equipment etc. ) so I cannot give you reliable info on that... am unable to find any info (Master)label/instructions such as the above for Virkon-S (for the NON-activated product) >(Virkon-S now does its instructions all on-site but it is harder to navigate than this simple master label)
    Please note in the instructions that you cant just "spray it in the coop" and expect it to be sanitized as you must first clean then use the product (any product > or at least those which you do not have to use a respirator for).

Last edited: Aug 4, 2009
  7. dlhunicorn

Jan 11, 2007
  8. threehorses

threehorses Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2009
    Houston
    Bleach won't kill anything as it's inactivated when it hits dirt. YOu'll want to use one of the other disinfectants.

Here's an article that tells you which disinfectant types work for which situations (in other words, which don't work on dirt, but only on surfaces)

http://msucares.com/poultry/diseases/disinfectants.html

Another article specifically on Hygiene against Marek's.
    http://www.wattpoultry.com/PoultryInternational/Article.aspx?id=24900

Note that you can't just really build in another place as the Marek's is carried in the dander unfortunately. Dander is already blown onto your whole property. You just have to spray wherever you can with something that is effective in the type of situation (dirt, surfaces, etc), where you build your new coops, etc. And you have to vaccinate. It's quite simple, just sounds trickier than it is. Of course, as I said before, please read the other article on giving the boosters and keeping the birds free from challenges in the first part of their lives to allow the Marek's vaccine to take effect.

here's Oxine's efficacy sheet:
    http://www.bio-cide.com/uploads/Efficacy Oxine.pdf

I'd look for disinfectants that are active against the avian herpesvirus. Marek's is allid herpesvirus 2 (GaHV-2) . And obviously I'd use dlh's recommendation as it specifically lists the Marek's virus.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2009
  9. Pathfinders

Pathfinders Overrun With Chickens

Jan 25, 2008
    Northern KY
    [​IMG] Very sorry to hear about your birdies.

The problem with trying to fight Marek's is that it's literally EVERYWHERE. It's at the feed store, it's at the county fair, it's probably at Wally World, it's anywhere anyone has ever been who has chickens.

There are two basic things you can do about Marek's:

1) Breed for resistance and live with the losses (which is very hard to do, I know) or
    2) Vaccinate against it.

Vaccinating isn't cheap, but it's not hard to learn to do, and worth it as far as I am concerned. You can get the vaccine from places like First State Vet, and the syringes too. You have to keep it in the fridge, and the first time it seems like you'll never get the hang of it, but it gets much easier as you go on.

Again, very sorry to hear of your losses, hope things get better for you soon.

10. dlhunicorn

Jan 11, 2007

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by