oxine... anyone used it?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by nickie, Aug 22, 2011.

1. nickie

nickie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2011
    north central KY
    Ran across a few articles on this product looking for a way to remove/prevent a mold outbreak after finding a leak in my coop roof (stupid 3 inches of rain in an hour made finding the pinhole leak very easy). I found quite a few testimonials and tons of praise for this stuff, in fact I can't find a single bad thing said about it in the poultry keeping community. U swear, reading anything about it makes me think of those awful infomercials on tv late at night (think slap chipper and anything with the tagline set it and forget it). Before I spend $25 a bottle for this stuff and then pay shipping I want to hear honest opinions and anything bad about it. There has to be a downside to using this stuff and I want to know what it is.

Ok, lemme have it...

2. galanie

galanie Treat Dispenser No More

Aug 20, 2010
    Colmesneil,TX
    You named the down side right there in your post. $25 for a gallon jug. I use it, love it. But at that price, it certainly doesn't get sprinkled around like holy water at an Episcopal baptism.

3. nickie

Jun 25, 2011
    north central KY
    It just seems too good to be trust, and why doesn't everyone know about it?

4. florida lee

florida lee Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2011
    Morriston,fl
    I use it also, very happy with it..... I know of two breeders that have used it for years.
    It is a little pricey but you do not use it straight, it has to be diluted with water so a bottle does last a while. and you don't have to use it at the strength on the label, thats for big flock operations. I cut that by about a third.

5. nickie

Jun 25, 2011
    north central KY
    Ok, so other than the price, are there any other downsides? Do you all use a digger or a spray bottle on mist?

6. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Quote:I use a spray bottle mister. I used it on the inside of an old coop after rehabbing it, mainly to get the oxine/water mixture in cracks and crevices to wipe out fungus etc...to make it habitable again. It was successful. I also use it to clean waterers. I have no complaints about oxine except the price.

7. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

It just kicked out a serious fungal infection in 8 of my flock and my rooster was pretty bad off, too. I used it in a cool mist vaporizer several times a day for a few days on him (and the hens affected). Now, he's out chasing hens again and no longer turning purple. Oxine isn't that expensive, if you consider it is supposedly about 200x more effective than bleach and can be used in a few more ways than bleach. It is highly concentrated so it goes a long way. I did wait awhile to get it, though, because of the cost, but was so happy to have it this summer. If I hadn't, I would probably have lost a couple birds. For most things, I'll use bleach, but for this awful period this summer, it saved the day.

8. southerndesert

southerndesert B & M Chicken Ranch

Jun 17, 2011
    Morristown, AZ
    Quote:What was the per-gallon dosage if you don't mind me asking?

9. nickie

Jun 25, 2011
    north central KY
    Quote:Www you the one that put the post up with the 2 article links?

10. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Yes, that was me. In the vaporizer, I used 6 ounces in a gallon of water for the misting solution, but when the water was down in the unit, sometimes, I'd add a lesser concentration when I refilled it. I only misted them for 10 minutes at a time several times each day for a couple of days (more for the rooster who was worse off).

For a spray bottle to spray shoes with at the entrance to my property, it isn't much at all, maybe a tablespoon for a spray bottle of water. The strong concentration was for the emergency treatment of the birds.

To mist the flock and coop weekly, it's recommended to use an actual fogger, but I didn't have one and can't afford to buy one, but we did have that cool mist vaporizer from way back when the boys were little and that did the job just fine.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by