Oxine

Kansas Gal

In the Brooder
10 Years
Dec 15, 2009
Hutchinson, Kansas
I am getting ready to order Oxine tonight, and everywhere on the internet, they also recommend the citric acid to activate it. I believe I read in this forum that some of you use the Oxine in a fogger with the chickens in the coop, and that you don't add the citric acid, as it is too strong. I am also planning on fogging the chickens' new coop (that should be ready to move them in in a few days) before I move the chickens in. Can you users of Oxine please advise me the proper way to use it to safely treat the chickens, do I add it to the waterers each time I fill them, etc.? I do always read the directions on the bottle, but appreciate any tips, tricks, etc. Thanks much, BYC gang!

Kudos for Dawg....as usual!
bow.gif
Thanks for the info.

I am now wondering if it would work internally/externally for staph infections. Would gassing a chicken's feet help prevent or treat bumblefoot?

Quote:
No. Remember, oxine is concentrated and will kill bacteria. Too much of it internally will kill good bacteria and you dont want that to happen. Only a small amount of oxine is used in the water to keep it disinfected and not affecting them internally, much like chlorine in drinking water, anymore than that could be detrimental. Externally wouldnt work, their feet are always going to have bacteria on them (and other stuff.) Sorry Taz, it's surgery or tricide neo for bumblefoot (or maybe surgery isnt needed at all.) It's good that you're looking for alternatives though!

Quote:
No. Remember, oxine is concentrated and will kill bacteria. Too much of it internally will kill good bacteria and you dont want that to happen. Only a small amount of oxine is used in the water to keep it disinfected and not affecting them internally, much like chlorine in drinking water, anymore than that could be detrimental. Externally wouldnt work, their feet are always going to have bacteria on them (and other stuff.) Sorry Taz, it's surgery or tricide neo for bumblefoot (or maybe surgery isnt needed at all.) It's good that you're looking for alternatives though!

Darn!
sad.png
I am a bit of the "mad scientist" type. Always looking for alternatives.
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom