Oxine?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by ThePigeonKid, Apr 5, 2012.

1. It works good.

7 vote(s)
    50.0%
  2. It does not work.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. I have not tried it.

7 vote(s)
    50.0%
  1. ThePigeonKid

ThePigeonKid Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2010
    Ohio - Chickens 3yrs
  2. A.T. Hagan

A.T. Hagan Don't Panic

Aug 13, 2007
    North/Central Florida
    It does work, but it doesn't do anything that plain old laundry bleach properly diluted can't do.

1 person likes this.
  3. galanie

galanie Treat Dispenser No More

Aug 20, 2010
    Colmesneil,TX
    Actually, it can. Unactivated Oxine can be misted so that birds with respiratory infections breathe it, and it'll cure them. It's also safe enough, when used w/out the activator, to be put in their water in a much stronger solution than you can put bleach at.

1 person likes this.
  4. ThePigeonKid

ThePigeonKid Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2010
    Ohio - Chickens 3yrs
    Thanks! :)

5. galanie

galanie Treat Dispenser No More

Aug 20, 2010
    Colmesneil,TX
  6. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Oxine kicked out fungal lung infections last summer in my Delaware rooster and a few older hens. The summer here was unusually hot and humid for a protracted period and we wet down the pens constantly-big mistake. Putting Oxine in a cool mist vaporizer and making the affected birds breathe that for 10 minute periods several times a day for a couple of days knocked out the infection. You cannot do that with household bleach.

You can put Oxine in their water for them to drink, you can mist the walls of the coop so that it evaporates into the air space around the roost for them to breathe in, etc. It kills more than chlorine bleach will and is safer to use around the birds.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2012
    1 person likes this.
  7. chknfun

chknfun New Egg

Jan 28, 2012
    Hi Speckledhen,
    Can you share the dosage of oxine in the vaporizer? and was it one that i could get at walmart etc? this sounds muck more affordable than the $395.00 mister which i cannot afford. thank you if you or someone can respond.

Peace to all,
    chicknfun

8. Milky Whey

Milky Whey Out Of The Brooder

Apr 14, 2012
    Some of my chickens are getting a respiratory issue. Is everyone on here happy with what oxine has done. I have a place where I can buy it in Canada.

9. White Araucana

White Araucana New Egg

Nov 28, 2011

Wow, that sounds pretty nifty to hear now that I know this product is safe (unactivated) to put in my chickens water for them to drink. All I need is the fogger thingy/ humidifier/ or mist thing and that OXINE product to get started. :)

I wish I would have this information 2 years ago though... Would have saved my 10 year old rooster and my 6 year old chicken... :hit

Right now I need to fog this on my 5 year old Rhode Island rooster and my 7 month old chickens.

By any chance does anyone know where there is a good but cheap fogger/humidifier to use on my chickens?

Last edited: Mar 5, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by