1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

OxineAh to wash eggs

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Justducky97365, Feb 26, 2012.

1. Justducky97365

Justducky97365 New Egg

Feb 7, 2012
    Do you use OxineAH to wash your eggs that you sell?

Do you spray them, or do you dip them in a solution? If so, what is the ratio?

I don't like the idea of HAVING to wash them, but the inspector says it must be done..

Thanks

A NEWBEE HERE!

2. The Old Whittler

The Old Whittler Out Of The Brooder

Oct 31, 2011
    I tell the people that get mine that I don't wash them and that they can if they want to. But I don't have an inspector. Eggs will keep longer if they're not washed and I tell people that. I wash the ones I use right before I use them.

3. CarolJ

CarolJ Dogwood Trace Farm

Jun 3, 2011
    Middle Tennessee
    I don't use Oxine - although I have some. So I might check into using it. I use a commercial egg wash & follow the manufacturer's directions for how to mix it. You shouldn't immerse the eggs in water or cleaning solutions. I wash them under running water, set on paper towels and pat dry before refrigerating.

They may keep longer without washing - but I wash anyway. All commercial eggs are washed - and we don't keep them around long enough for the whole bloom thing to be an issue. I want only cleaned eggs in the refrigerator with my other food.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by