Oy Vey...

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Darkjeweler, Jan 6, 2012.

1. Darkjeweler

Darkjeweler Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 16, 2011
    Sanford
    One of my girls, (I think the Appleyard) has decided that NOW would be a good time to begin laying eggs. Yesterday, I collected my usual (1) egg in the morning from the dog house where my Runners like to deposit their gifts; then when I came home last night, I almost stepped on another one that was in the middle of the pen and covered with mud. This egg was smaller than the others I have been getting (about the size of a chicken egg) and I was like "Where the heck did this come from?".... So, this morning I went out to collect my daily egg and there was another small one in a nest about 5 feet from the dog house. So, now it appears that I will be getting (2) eggs every morning. Considering that right now I am on an all fruit/veggie diet the eggs are going to be pilling up. Perhaps I can sell them at work or something. lol..

You would not think that "Winter" would be the best time for a duck to decide to begin laying.

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Quote:how come no protien? theres where your eggs would come in. Protien is very important.

3. Darkjeweler

Aug 16, 2011
    Sanford
    Right now I am adding protien powder. I was thinking of adding raw eggs into the smoothies, but I am not sure how I feel about raw eggs.

4. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Quote:yep protein powder is good and if you use your own eggs and mix them real good you'll never know they are raw, I just wouldn't use store bought raw eggs.

5. grawg

grawg Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2011
    East Tennessee
    I think a combination of corn, beans, and squash form a complete protein... you could also get nuts and seeds to help boost protein and fats.

6. EmAbTo48

EmAbTo48 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2011
    Northern Wisconsin
    Hey good for you! I did the all natrual fruit/vegetable (protein from beans) for a month not only for losing weight but to feel better. I have so much energy and feel amazing! Its hard but worth it!

7. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Yep I eat alot of raw nuts, almonds and walnuts also have a smoothie every morning with lowfat yogurt, protein powder[pea protein] coconut oil, and DE[food grade] it's so good, and as long as I keep cabs to a minimum I can keep my weight good. and I don't have to go without. I hate to have to deprive myself.. [​IMG]

8. Tahai

Tahai Chillin' With My Peeps

9. Darkjeweler

Aug 16, 2011
    Sanford
    Well, right now I am only on day 3 of the diet. Other than a few hunger pangs throughout the day, no ill affects so far. Tonight I may scramble up an egg and then add it to the veggie smoothie. Lets go for a meal in a glas.. lol.. I do duppose I could freeze the unused eggs.

10. Smiles-N-Sunshine

Smiles-N-Sunshine Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 19, 2008
    Palominas, Arizona
    I often give extras to my co-workers, and they often reciprocate with tasty treats [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by