Oyster shell.. all winter to?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Going Quackers, Dec 6, 2011.

1. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Overrun With Chickens

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    I have run out of oyster shell... should i replace it? we're heading into winter and the hens are no longer on layer BUT i do have one hen out of the 5 that is still laying on & off ... despite the slipping temps.

2. newbyduckmom

newbyduckmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2011
    Snohomish County, WA
    I am giving mine oyster shell all winter. Of course, i have had soft shell issues just recently and mine will lay all winter as I have given them supplemental light. From what I have been told, as long as they are laying it is a good idea. If they are not, I wouldn't think you would need to...but then I have only had my ducks for 8 months!

Last edited: Dec 6, 2011
  3. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Overrun With Chickens

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    Quote:Thanks! I'll pick some more up on friday.. i got another egg today.. yet we dipped below freezing & it's dark before 5pm now... clearly 'someone' is a determined layer lol

Last edited: Dec 7, 2011
  4. Oregon Blues

Oregon Blues Overrun With Chickens

Apr 14, 2011
    Central Oregon
    I just keep it available all the time. If they don't need it, they won't eat it. You are going to have to buy it, no matter what.

Laying season starts any time after the days start to get longer, which is Dec 21.

5. BallardDuck

BallardDuck Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2011
    Ballard in Seattle
    Quote:So, I'm curious...whenever I put out oyster shell for my girls they eat the entire bowl, and I mean immediately! Do they really need that? Or are they just being OCD? Can they get TOO much?

6. newbyduckmom

Jul 18, 2011
    Snohomish County, WA
    Quote:So, I'm curious...whenever I put out oyster shell for my girls they eat the entire bowl, and I mean immediately! Do they really need that? Or are they just being OCD? Can they get TOO much?

Mine eat it immediately a lot of the time...and spill it immediately a lot of the time! But I am curious as well, if they gobble it down immediately are they severely lacking in calcium....couldn't taste good, could it?

7. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.

Mine eat it immediately a lot of the time...and spill it immediately a lot of the time! But I am curious as well, if they gobble it down immediately are they severely lacking in calcium....couldn't taste good, could it?

I keep oyster shell out year round but have never noticed mine gobbling it up, but if you have chickens or ducks that tend to lay year round I'd keep it out.

8. BallardDuck

BallardDuck Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2011
    Ballard in Seattle
    OK, fortunately it is stupid cheap! I think I got 5 lbs. for 2 bucks...or less!
    I was just a little concerned that they might be eating too much "hard stuff".

9. newbyduckmom

Jul 18, 2011
    Snohomish County, WA
    Quote:Where did you find it that cheap?

10. Tivona

Tivona Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2011
    Oregon
    I always have a container of oyster shell for mine, even in winter. I notice that the level of it goes down in speed according to how many eggs they are laying. I keep it in a plastic hydroponics pot. Its a plastic mesh pot that allows water to run to run though, allowing me to rinse the oyster shell if it looks a bit yucky over time. I use another for the grit. Oyster shell here goes for 50lb bag for just over $10. Crazy cheap stuff so I have no need to skimp. But I live on the coast...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by